Small form factor Limiter for live use?

I just picked up the EHX Platform to add to my RNC+HPF SC Loop cord for my dark trinity live set rig. I was also looking at a DBX rackmount comp/limiter (used) for around the same price. I almost returned it after 2 nights of trying to get it to do clean peak limiting. My initial attempts were very colored and heavily saturating the low end which wasn’t my reason for purchasing it. I left it for about a week then decided to spend a few minutes this past weekend seeing if I could get it to work — SUCCESS. I’m not sure how but I managed to get it to not only do clean limiting, but its also adding a fait bit of boost in overall level without letting peaks through.

Probably one of my happiest moments in a long time to see/hear my liveset coming out of a DJ mixer next to a commercial/mastered track and they’re both the same loudness without me having to push the OT/RNC to their limits.

:grin::grin::grin::grin:

After my gig this Friday when I have more time in the studio I’ll snap some pics of the settings and post some audio examples :cb::cb:

5 Likes

Please do, curious to see it!
So the RNC + hpf alone was not enough?

1 Like

It would get me loud enough but some songs would clip a little when I pushed the trim on the mixer high enough to match mastered tracks. It’s been my dream/aim for so long to have the ability to do hybrid sets where my live doesn’t come in sounding weak :smiling_imp:

The EHX Platform seems to be just the extra boost in level I need and its taming the peaks. I did notice listening to my rehearsal last night that some of the biggest/bassiest kicks and basslines were distorting a touch through the limiter, but I think I can fix that just adjusting the mix.

I also like how small it is :smiley:

3 Likes

@Soarer do you still use the tc finalizer? Is it ok for travelling around?

@ON-OFF-ON do you hear/feel/ fear the ad/da from platform? Especially in the master insert.

Still use it yes. My audio is always passing through it but I use it more transparent now. It is three bands so it does affect bass mid and high (of course) - especially at lower thresholds. I haven’t really brought it to concerts since I use compressors in Octatrack which is my main output so it’s not that necessary but just now I’m going to check if I should bring it to my next concert. I’d like to try a good single band compressor and see how it would compare on the master. But I’m happy with it.

1 Like

Cwejman VC-SC is my go to. It’s like an SSL G buss, but in euro. It’s really expensive and besides live I use it in the studio. There are definitely great alternatives at that price. Just so happened I got it for my studio once and ended up using it live.

Here’s a pic from the net. It had CV control over most things which is neat too!

3 Likes

Hi everybody,
I have a custom built live master processor. I have ordered it after i saw the stimming’s mastering chain with similar things in mind which is fully analog. The order is like compressor - preamp - tape saturation - 2 band eq - limiter with a balanced output and all stereo. İm very happy with it and sound amazing. When i play live i give my master out put from it. You guys can check it from the link. İt was made by cheesy intruments. 200 $ w/o shipping.

1 Like