Small form factor Limiter for live use?

I can record something but i think it won’t be too different from the short demo video above with the Digitakt.

Ah i had missed that vid. Hmm… that stereo overdrive might suit my MD quite well. I love what AH distortion does to it but then I can t use the AH for any other duties. Have been looking for a cheaper alternative to pump up the MD.

I did a little video with the Platform. Nothing scientific, just playing around with different settings and increasing the drive. I don’t know if there’s really a good subtle compressor setting for a whole mix here. I think it’s better suited for processing instruments or pumping effects and crunching up something with the drive circuit. But i often like to dirty up some tracks or whole mixes so i think it’ll stay behind the Model Samples for now.
For clean live use i would probably go with a RNC or RNLA instead.

Sound demo starts at about 1:30.

7 Likes

It looks like you have both the knee switch and limiter switch engaged.
Have you tried changing the knee setting for cleaner compression?
Or not using the shortest release setting possible. I imagine that gets it real crunchy.

Yeah I like what the drive and tone do!

((Hmm… EHX also has a stereo Operation Overlord pedal… https://www.ehx.com/products/operation-overlord Can’t find any demo’s other than guitar and keys though.)

1 Like

Nice video Dr.K :+1:t2: Yeah the Drums sound really good with the drive turned up. It seems like a great companion for the M:S.

About the RNC - will balanced output cables also not work?

1 Like

I tried all combinations and knee switch engaged means soft knee. Longer release makes it more subtle but still not really transparent.

1 Like

That pedal looks interesting too! I wish there would be a demo for every pedal on drums and mixbus.

They will but not the usual way. You can use a stereo jack (“balanced”) cable to connect the RNC to a mixer’s insert jack socket. One contact will be the dry send signal, the other the wet return signal. Handy when you don’t have standard insert cables lying around. Have a look at a pic of the back side. The print on it shows it.

This means you don’t want to use a balanced cable in its input in any other scenario than this.

I suspect that a balanced cable in its output will simply result in an unbalanced signal. The ring contact gets grounded.

2 Likes

As dtr says, balanced cables will work fine on the output of RNC. Only on the RNC input do the cables need to be TS.

2 Likes

May I ask what did not work out for you with the Boum?

I confirmed this with FMR themselves awhile back.

Check here:

1 Like

Hey AdamJay, having read much of what you’ve written about the sidechain on the RNC, I was hoping you wouldn’t mind helping me out setting this up in my setup.
I’ve got the RNC set up and I’m running the record

output from my Allen and Heath DB4 into my Zoom pedal with the cable shown below.
I’m filtering everything below 100 in the pedal and then running the output into the RNC sidechain. However, I think I’m messing this up.
The cable from the pedal to the side chain may not be right. I’m using the cable in the second picture but I think something is not right. Even with a threshold at its lowest there is no gain reduction. If I rejoice the sidechain, reduction takes place.

To be honest, the TRS and TS cable thing confuses the shit out of me, along with balance and unbalanced stuff too. I just need to know what I need to do, not necessary why I need to do it if that makes sense.

If you wouldn’t mind pointing me in the right direction, I’d really appreciate it.
Cheers

this is a common misunderstanding about the sidechain on the FMRs.

haven´t used it myself in a while, but from what I remember, it is actually an INSERT - meaning you have to TAKE THE SIGNAL OUT from the FMR box, then into an EQ (this is the “send” part from FMRs perspective) and then back from the EQ into the sidechain input (=this is the “receive” part).

this has to be done via a Y-/insert-cable, i.e. two TS-plugs on one end into a single TRS plug on the FMRs end.

EDIT:
also I don´t know what the HELL that cable you got there is… 2x RCA into a single MONO (!) TS-plug???

that is not gonna work as an insert cable, no matter what you are doing… this could probably only be used as a very crude stereo-to-mono mixdown…

2 Likes

the FMR FAQ is good for all sorts of questions on this, by the way:
http://www.fmraudio.com/rncrnla-faq.html

@apmbpm
so if I understand what you´re trying to do right (which is: “take output from your DJ mixer, run it through the FMR compressor and filter the sidechain signal so it doesn´t react to the bass as much”, correct?), you should do this:

1.) get a 2x RCA to 2x mono/unbalanced 1/4" plug cable (like this one: https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_cfu_6_pc.htm )

2.) get a “Y-cable” or “insert cable” that has a (balanced/stereo) TRS 1/4" plug on one end, and 2x (unbalanced/mono) TS 1/4" plugs on the other ( like this one: https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_cfy_3_vpp.htm )

3.) and ideally get a pair of quality BALANCED cables to go out of the FMR into the PA/to your speakers. this could for example be either of those depending on what your connections on the PA look like:
a) for XLR get 2 of these (maybe shorter length) https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_cfm_6_mv_klinke_xlr_kabel.htm
b) for 1/4" get 2 of these (again, maybe different lenghts) https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_cfm_60_vv.htm

(by the way, I´m neither affiliated/sponsored by Thomann or Cordial - it´s just where I shop and I like their cables ^^ )

now, you would hook this up as follows:

• take the 2xRCA to 2x1/4" cable from 1.) and connect it from your DJ mixer output to the FRM RNCs left and right inputs
  • take the cables from 3.) and connect the FMR RNCs outputs to your speakers/PA
  • now test if you can get regular functionality from the compressor - nevermind the sidechain for now…

does it work?
Ok now for the sidechain filtering you´re trying to do:

• take the Y-/insert cablef rom 2.) and plug the single ended TRS plug into the sidechain jack on the FMR RNC
  • now you have to do a tiny experiment: take ONE jack from the other end of the Y-cable and plug it into the Zooms MONO/L input - take the other end of the Y-Cable and plug it into the MONO/L output on the zoom.

-> now test the setup again… if it doesn´t work you´ll have to swap the “send” and “receive” ends of the Y-Cable on the Zooms ins/outs.

now it should work as intended.

(this whole setup is actually explained in the “how do I use sidechain” on the FAQ I linked to above, go read that please!)

3 Likes

Wow. That’s about as comprehensive as a response can get; cheers.
I’ll get on these things and take a look at the page you linked to.

Thanks so much for the time you have taken with your reply.

Adam

2 Likes

no worries, I´ve been there myself and was lucky enough that someone else took the time to explain stuff to me :wink:

4 Likes

Have you had any issues with latency when syncing the M:S thru the platform with other instruments?

No. But to be exact you can’t sync the M:S through the Platform. It’s only the audio signal which runs through the Platform.