Small class compliant quality audio interface for MacBook with headphone out?

Zoom AMS22 pocket interface with batteries or Zoom H5 recorder.

Unless I am missing something, I just loopback in software. Monkey rewind is great.

2 Likes

These are worth looking at also for that versatility inside the Mac…

3 Likes

I had the older Duet, and it was amazing. This should be even better - love the aesthetics. I only sold it because I needed more I/O.

1 Like

if they would manage to have ADAT somehow with the breakout cables it would be great, but anyway it looks very good if you’re ok with the 2 ins 2 outs

1 Like

Yeah, agree, I’d go for an RME babyface over the Duet just for that versatility.

1 Like

And because it has no clumsy and fragile breakout cable but all inputs/outputs build in.

1 Like

Agreed, I forgot about that :grinning:…it was the one aspect of the Duet that used to really get on my nerves. I’m not sure if they have updated these in any way but they were quite heavy and used to fall off the back of the desk all the time.

they sell a deck for it for $179, nice solution for home setup, it’s very expensive in total with the interface but the preamps/built in channel strip should bring a lot to the table… at least it should for that much $$$ :slight_smile:

Macbook pros come with a high grade headphone out. I’d say it would be enough for a really portable setup on the go.

RME Babayface FS would be a good choice and investment for years. Can’t recommend RME enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to add a more budget friendly option here for a very high quality but still small-ish audio interface, the Audient ID4 (or Audient ID14 if you prefer a stereo input. It is a bit larger though).

See also the review of Julian Krause where these interfaces perform very well, including the HP output: Audient iD4 MKII and iD14 MKII - Audio Interface Review - YouTube

1 Like

This is not how it works. The signal is already digital. Resampling is only a process made by the CPU.

Some interfaces have indeed a loopback functionality but the quality won’t be any better. It will only be a little lighter for your CPU.

1 Like

I work on Macs for a living and have used a ton of interfaces, currently prefer the MOTU M4 for the latency while tracking. However for your use case, there’s very little advantage to using an external interface when the Mac is very capable by itself. Save your money and loopback in software.

2 Likes

I see a lot of people mention headroom/gain concerns with the ai-micro. How about if you just make sure your level is attenuated on the way in? Is the quality up to par to regular interfaces if you take the slight increase in noise level for granted.

Look, headroom is definitely a concern but it’s completely manageable. You’re obviously going to be compromising at some level given the price, size, and the fact it’s primarily intended for lav mics.

That being said, I think the quality is perfectly acceptable and I think it’s a no brainer purchase for people who like to record synths to mobile devices. It’s light enough that it just feels like an extension of your headphones. If you’re not bothered by something more bulky then there’s definitely better options, but if you want tiny, this is it.

Audio example over in this thread: Rode AI-Micro and/or other tiny audio interfaces - #18 by Stone262

1 Like

Any expensive small interface would be unnecessary and fine for this!

2 Likes

+1 on the Groove. Found one on Reverb for $75.

2 Likes

It can be used with speakers too…

“Connect Groove to your computer’s USB port and your headphones or powered speakers to Groove’s audio output. It’s that easy.”

I bought when I thought about going 100% ITB.

1 Like

sp-404 mkII is a great interface and works hella well as a fun tool with a macbook. …has headphone out

1 Like

True!!

1 Like