Small class compliant quality audio interface for MacBook with headphone out?

this is just for running ableton on the go but need good quality for very heavy amounts of internal resampling…
won’t be doing any external recording so don’t even need inputs or midi.

Why not just use the headphone out of the MacBook and resample in software?

4 Likes

thought there might be something better out there

The MacBooks have pretty great on-board DACs. The latest models can even auto-switch impedance to match your headphones.

An interface might have more accessible connections though—XLR or balanced jacks, depending on what you get.

If you have a Digitone, Digitakt, or another Elektron box with an audio interface, you can use that.

5 Likes

understood, but this is just for going out, nothing going in so I don’t need any inputs or midi… just thought there might be something tiny of better quality available out there?

I’ve always used MOTU stuff and found it to be great. Their DAC is one of the best out there, the price is reasonable, they are built well, and they are pretty much plug in and play with Mac. The M2 or M4 is probly the one you want to be looking at. I personally use an M4 when I travel. Toss in in a back pack with some other gear and your set.

4 Likes

I have a Apogee groove and it sounds great and is tiny. Headphone out only.

2 Likes

thanks man, motu is the standard I was using too but I need something smaller than that…

1 Like

If it’s just for output, I’d just use the built-in jack.

5 Likes

yeah something in this vein, I thought the groove was pretty old by now, but something like this or even smaller is what I’m after…

even for resampling?

Heard good things about the Audioquest Dragonfly DACs

oh yeah forgot about those, will check them out again Danke Danke, how old is your apogee groove?

It doesn’t sound like you have a real problem you are trying to solve.

So get a TE TX-6. It’s cool and expensive and not too bulky.

15 Likes

I bought mine used a good 5 years back. I use it a lot at work with some Future Sonics G10 IEMs and it’s a really solid setup. I’m not sure on the advancements of the DAC chips in these things but I think it uses a good DAC chip.

A lot of people like how small the rode AI micro is. Is that not really what you’re looking for?

It is class compliant.

2 Likes

They still sell them new so they must be up there in terms of current quality. Without stating the obvious Apogee do some great interfaces, and it’s well built.

I’m confused about how “internal resampling” is supposed to play a role in this decision.
That’s just digital audio processing in your DAW? The interface is not a factor.

7 Likes

Yeah I have one of these as well. Great for the money. I use it for quick recordings to my iPhone. I would say the Apogee sounds more dynamic and has a weighty 3D quality, especially with good headphones.

1 Like

I will make note of this, thank you, it’s good to hear that from someone who has flipped both coins!

Is apogee using the same components you find in the duet?

1 Like