Slicing lots of Drums....Best Program?

i’ve used samplitude for ages, but after X3 it went so downhill, many vst3s not working, crashes … i could kick myself that i kept updating up to X5 just in hopes it would work again someday.

i then switched to reaper and am constantly amazed how much better, faster, easier, … it is. and of course, everything just works. and things do work that are impossible in samplitude, like having a midi with its own tempo, ignoring the project’s tempo …

sorry, i just still get a bit potty when i read that name. :unamused:

How’s Samplitude these days mate ? Are there a lot more features ?

Bitwig is very quick at timestretching and slicing loops.

When you drop a loop into the timeline it auto fits the tempo and there are settings for what algorithm to use by default etc. If you then slice with the scissors tool or the cursor and keyboard shortcut then you have all these slices. If you select all the slices and hit the bounce shortcut then they all render into individual files in a specific folder for the project. You can then open that folder (right-click menu) to show in OSX finder (or whatever other OS equivalent) and they’ll all be in there. They may need a bit of renaming but that’s not usually difficult.

It even works with multiple loops I think. So if you multi-select and drop a load of loops into the timeline, select them all and scissor them all at the same time that might work although I’m not in front of Bitwig right now. I may try this again myself as I want to dice up some loops to try with my new MC-707.

Admittedly it’s expensive to buy an entire DAW for this but you can normally find a free hardware bundled “Intro” version license that someone is selling on KVR for a few quid, sometimes people even give the license key away for free if they don’t want it themselves.

2 Likes

I use it for audio editing mainly, and I use the same things since 20 years !
@Jeanne I don’t use midi or with VSTs so no problem for me…I was using Fruity Loops for VSTs.

Samplitude convolution reverb is really interesting. At 34s you can hear drums with water as Impulse response. :content:

Btw this song was made with Fruity Loops which has a nice slicer…

3 Likes

Propellerheads Recycle

1 Like

MPC Beats (free!) is what I use.

I also use wavosaur and audacity (for different things)

On MPC Beats you can easily do it manually or automatically - with settings you choose.

Wavosaur allows you to place markers, using mouse or in realtime by pressing “M” as wave plays, you can then move them manually if needed (often).

3 Likes

MPC beats sounds like a good idea. I’ll try that first!

I use Ableton.
It’s got different modes to automatically chop samples, you can do it based on transients as well.
With Push 2 is quick and easy.

It is pretty easy but not immediately obvious, so if u get stuck HMU.

Does it allow turning stereo to mono sample ?

Fine if you’re staying within Live, but slicing for external use is not great. It’s possible by slicing to a single Sampler, then exporting the zones as audio, but it feels workaround-y rather than a proper feature.

@elenacortes yes, you can choose left, right or sum.

1 Like

:+1:
I’ll try it, just downloaded it. Thanks

1 Like

Be aware it is a bit bloatware to just use for this, but I think it is the best I tried so far of the free options. FYI if you don’t run it full screen you can drag and drop into the sample editor, which speeds things up a bit.

1 Like

Sorry for hacking the thread, but if i were looking for free software that permit automation of turning stereo to mono number of samples, does exist a beter solution ?

Both audacity and wavosaur can do it with batch processing, it is a little in depth but not too difficult.

2 Likes

OK, thanks, i will check those on YT tuto.

@SonWu : thanks for the thread

+1 for serato sample, it’s so quick and easy to use. My favorite vst instrument of all times!

1 Like

If you’re comfortable working without a GUI, ffmpeg does this (and many, many other things) very easily!

OK, thanks for the solution.
I had a breef look at ffmpeg, i didn’t knew what it was.
You know what, i don’t have any skill for that kind of process, it’s like i would have to learn a knew language :exploding_head:
I will prefer easy tool with menu and visual process :smirk: