Slicing lots of Drums....Best Program?

Is there any program that makes it super quick to slice up drums (not perfect loops, but beginnings of songs) and spit out one-shot drum hits?

What is your preferred method?

I use Audacity for that kind of thing.

You can add labels to each part you want to cut out. You can add a little name to your label and then export by label. That lets you save all your little wav files all at once with the name you just gave them

I think it’s exactly what you’re looking for.

3 Likes

thanks for the quick answer…transient detection and everything included?

the naming and separation of whats kick, or snare actually is the less important part. The speed and ease at which I can chop up various samples is most important.

The separation of kicks, snares and hats is done by XO…which by the way is quite amazing!

I think it has transient detection but I’m not sure. I generally do that kind of thing manually. And now, I mostly don’t use one shot drums. So it doesn’t really come up for me

Yeah, I am really looking for something doing the work for me :smiley:
I thought in the days of AI, someone would have made a program like that.

Yeah, it’s kind of wild that you can do things like remove the drums from a sample and have it sound pretty okay. But if you tried to slice it by transients it would still put your slice points in the middle of your kick drum and skip over every third hi-hat

Koala just updated with an algorithm which tries to separate a sample into individual stems, though it’s not perfect. But it has auto transient slicing as well. And lots more. I should also mention you can export all your chops into a single zip file.

1 Like

I’ve used a lot of stuff for this over the years. Honestly Reaper is by far the best for me but there is a general learning curve to the program that may be beyond what you’re wanting to deal with.

The way it handles batch editing, transients, stretching, wave editing and export naming conventions is really great. It’s lean, free-ish, and has awesome tutorials. Also a great DAW in general if you’re not trying to “play” your DAW like Ableton or Bitwig.

1 Like

But if you are trying to play your DAW, Renoise is made for this type of thing.

4 Likes

Check wavosaur, it has transient detection…

1 Like

I second that. Reaper is quite cheap and as nerdish as all the Elektron stuff.
I wonder why Reaper isn´t more popular in this forum.
And yes it can handle the task of creating a lot of stems and samples with ease.

2 Likes

yes to reaper
also, lots of tutorials online and all kinds of questions already answered on their forms :wink:
chopping up at transients can be super automatic.
actually i wanted to do a video tutorial about it ….

Alright, REAPER seems to be the consensus.

I have been using it in the past and think it’s a great DAW, I just thought there might be something else out there.

Thanks for all the help!

I use Serato sample for everything. Not just slicing but timestretching as well.

4 Likes

Isn’t Reaper used a lot by Sound designers in the gaming industry? I seem to understand that because of all the nerdy stuff on there (scripting to process batches or select samples) it is almost an industry standard DAW?

1 Like

I’m still on Amadeus Pro for that stuff… oldie but goldie … it just does the trick

Reaper is used by all different kinds of musicians / producers because it is so customizable.
And for the OP here one of Kenny Gioias phantastic tuts.

This video is about splitting. There are still more tools to bake the splitted files in new single ones and export them to your liking.
Fast and easy.

I use Reaper for like 12 years now. Was a Cubase refugee. Never looked back.

2 Likes

I echo the suggestion of Reaper if you plan on doing lots of sample slicing and batch rendering - in terms of audio editing and rendering Reaper has features that can make the process very fluid and IMO outshines other DAWs in this regard - but you will have to put time into learning these features which are thankfully well documented via an active community and various YouTube channels.

Renoise is another good option which has surprisingly nice audio chopping and rendering features. At the heart of Renoise is the sampler where all audio editing is done, which kind of feels like working with a hardware sampler.

Both softwares are very fairly priced and have generous demos, so you could try both.

Octatrack. :content:
I also use Samplitude.

1 Like

I use Live for all of this but I have to admit it’s a bit of a faff. I’m really quick now but only because of all the practice, I would like a way for Live to spit one one shots but it isn’t built for it sadly.