Sisters with Transistors — Documentary

In french-german tv-station ARTE it‘s online now:

3 Likes

“Dieses Video ist in Ihrem Land nicht verfügbar.”

1 Like

Are you living in France or Germany? That‘s a common problem. Once I‘ve tried to watch something from italian tv. It was not possible without a VPN-tool (or how it‘s called).

I’m in the US right now, and it’s not unexpected. I just wanted to warn others.

Online sources indicate this documentary is 1h 26m long but it looks like this version is only 53 minutes…

Did they cut out the sisters or the transistors though?

I think they cut out all the noisy crap that people pretend is music.

3 Likes

Alright grandad.

:rofl:

6 Likes

Just watched this. Absolutely fantastic. Feel like ive been on a trip. Think women have a subtle touch with electronic gear you dont see in men.

The version i watched was 1 hr 25 minutes long.

Quite sad that many of the women in this documentary have now passed away. They were so full of ideas and life.

4 Likes

Pretty disappointed this has only had limited theatrical release in Canada so far. Not yet available to purchase or rent. Boourns.

It was playing here in Winnipeg a couple of months ago. My partner and her friend went to go see it. I had no idea it was here and when they went it was the last night for it. I’ve been wanting to see it since I heard about it. I don’t understand why it’s so hard to rent/view.

Watched this on Metrograph when it was released & loved it. Encouraged friends to watch it and they loved it too.

I’ve had fun with Laurie Spiegel’s Music Mouse over the past 3-4 years. The Amiga version is hypnotic. I’ve been able to pair it up with Soundscape so it’ll sync to incoming MIDI clock, as detailed in the Music Mouse manual.

Music Mouse by itself is a real treat, but the fact that it also integrated with another MIDI application in the late 80s/early 90s is also quite notable…

4 Likes

Delia Derbyshire became an Alcoholic. Only recognized by the Bbc after 50 years! No wonder.

It’s now distributed in Canada by KinoSmith, but there are no details yet on their website of where it’s showing.
https://www.kinosmith.com

UPCOMING SCREENINGS IN EUROPE:

LUMIERE CINEMA (Maastricht, Netherland): Sisters With Transistors will be screened at the Lumiere Cinema on February 10th.

GRAUZONE FESTIVAL (Den Haag, Netherlands): Sisters With Transistors will be shown at the Grauzone Festival on February 11th and 12th. Location and time to be announced on the festival’s website.

MAI MUTE (Florence, Italia): The film will be screened at Cinema La Compagnia as part of Mai Mute, Cinema and Feminist Encounters, on February 24th.

ANTENNA FILM FESTIVAL (Sydney, Australia): The film will be shown at the Antenna Film Festival in Sydney on February 5th and 10th. More infos on the festival’s website.

LE VECTEUR (Charleroi, Belgium): Sisters With Transistors will be shown in Charleroi at Le Vecteur on March 9th.

POOLINALE NIGHTS (Vienna, Austria): The film will be screened at the Kino am Spittelberg on January 19th.

BLACK MOVIE INTERNATIONAL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL (Geneva, Switzerland): The film will be screened at the Geneva International Independent Film Festival on January 21st and 26th. More infos on the festival website. You can also watch it online on online.blackmovie.ch from January 28th to February 1st.

KINO REX BERN (Bern, Switzerland): The film will be shown at the KINO REX on January 21st and 30th and February 1st.

LE CONCORDE (La Roche-sur-Yon, France): The film will be shown at the cinema Le Concorde on February 3rd.

PBA LILLE (Lille, France): The film will be shown at the Palais des Beaux-Arts de Lille on March 8th.

For French and German audiences, the 52 minutes TV cut of the film will be shown on Arte TV channel on February 21st at 1:10PM.

7 Likes

Yeah, i wish these indies had a donation link, i want to support creators, because of exclusivity and festival /awards rules it’s easier to find pirated content than to legitimately access them :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I’ll be able to find a way to watch it from home soon.

1 Like

A little birdie told me it’ll be coming to showtime/crave in Canada starting February 1st.

3 Likes

I just saw this documentary in a movie theater. They had two showings altogether – very niche. The cinema was crowded though when I was there.

It’s really a great documentary, albeit with a very Western focus. But seeing the protagonists creating music at a time when their work was mostly not understood to be music – that was awesome.

Imagine taping tapes together at a time when noone even understood sampling. There’s a moment where you see three or four tape machines play in such looped samples in unison. What they’d done with an Octatrack :slight_smile:

Go see this documentary.

2 Likes

Man I love Clara Rockmore. When I was studying the Theremin it was her technique that gave me the “ah-ha” moment when I was first learning to play it. I still listen to her performances from time to time they were beautiful.

The documentary looks good I’m always infinitely fascinated by all things to do with the invention and adoption of electronic music, I’ll give it a watch.

5 Likes

Rockmore was a joy to see. Her finger movement was exceptional – “you have to play it as if you were a butterfly” she says.

But all others were just as amazing. The invisibility of women in music and history is horrendous, and this film makes a great point against that.

3 Likes