Single powering options for multiple devices

€200?!?

$159 on sale with 5% back in Amazon credit. 1 power hub for everything!

It’ll power 3 Digi boxes, 1 soundcard, micromonsta2, and iPad (plus controllers).

1 Like

Seriously tempted.

1 Like

I see it this way. I’m building a custom box that houses the 3 Digi boxes, 2 Faderfox controllers, the Micromonsta2, and the MOTU Ultra-lite MK5, plus an iPad Air 4. I can have tons of power supplies and wallwarts weighing down the box, or splurge on one of these and power everything from one place. Ya dig?

3 Likes

It’s out of stock already?
Also, what cables do you use to Go from USB A / USB C to your machines?

I dunno about if it’s in stock or not. I’ll be looking into Birdcords or other USB-C to DC cables.

Update: The UGreen one introduced noise into my gear. Returned.

Hey power supply fans!

Does this look like it would work for multiple Elektron boxes?! It seems suspiciously cheap but I think it would power 2 or 3 boxes if I’m understanding the specs correctly (which I might not be).

I’m trying to power my Digitakt and Syntakt and maybe a third box if I pick up one up soon-ish. Payday is coming and I’ve sold a load of neglected software licenses so I have some “I can probably justify this” cash.

EDIT - hold on, it’s the wrong size barrel adapter. Balls.

No. I tried the adaptors with more outputs. While they provide power, turning any device on while others are on restarts any other device on the chain. It’s weird.

Here’s my one brick wonder!

2 Likes

How about adding a couple of those (I think the ones I have are 30cm):

3 Likes

Just a Hint: https://www.amazon.de/Leicke-48W-Netzteil-TFT-Monitore-Anwendungen/dp/B001W3W12E
This alone works with my Digitakt.
So you only need: https://www.amazon.de/DZYDZR-Adapter-Powerweiblich-männlich-Y-Splitter-Kabel-2-x-1-zu/dp/B01KCQVMKI

Long story short, every PSU from PCs, external HDDs (!same barrel as elektron! positiv on the inside) works, as long as there is enough Ampere.
For my units (Digitakt and Digitone) it would be at least 24W + 24W (12 Volt * 2 Ampere per Unit) to replace the original. Lower values may work as well.
You only need to use an adapter to use one psu with many units.

Edit:
Examples: - Elektron Barrel 5,5mm x 2,5mm
- Novation Peak 5,5mm x 2,1mm

Some Barrels can be combined, so i can use 1 PSU for 3 Units (Elektrons + Peak)

2 Likes

I just got the Satechi and it is generating ground noise (enough to trigger light green LED on my octatrack inputs) in the 1010 Tangerine / Razzmattazz :frowning:

My Roland S-1 is being powered fine form same unit without noise. I guess 1010 is extra delicate

Anyone else have suggestions?

It’s usb groundloop noise. Get an isolator. Same thing happens with my Micromonsta2.

2 Likes

It’s just frustrating that some devices are more prone than other.

Yup. Such is life. The isolators for USB are expensive, too.

1 Like

Are there any red flags to this solution for Digitakt, Digitone, Syntakt, and Octatrack?

Seems like this should cover the required 12V, 6 A, 33 W for all four devices. The barrels seem to be the right size and it seems like there’s enough overage to add an AHmkII if needed.

I’m no expert though, so please tell me if I’m wrong.

That’s not a great idea. I tried something similar and booting up multiple devices on one supply like that kept resetting all the others. It’s def. not recommended or safe.

1 Like

It should work with a well-designed power supply that can actually supply enough current instantaneously.

I’m not plugging a $18 power brick into any of my Elektrons, no matter how many compliance logos are printed on the brick. Notably, a UL mark is missing.

I would expect to pay around 50% more for a single PS to supply multiple devices. Since Elektron charges $50 each for its power supplies, I’d expect to pay around $300 for a PS that can handle four simultaneously. I’d consider paying $200 if it was from a reputable brand. Under $100 and you may be literally playing with fire.

3 Likes

Fair enough. It did seem a little too good to be true.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for sharing your experience as well.

I’ll just stick with multiple power bricks and avoid the headache.

1 Like

I just don’t want you to let the magic smoke out of your Elektrons. That will ruin your whole week.

3 Likes