Single Cycle Waves

Hello Friends,

I´ve saw these two videos that makes the octatrack more attractive to me than i thougt (samples + kind of “synth” in a box)

what kind of different sounds are possible with this limited technic? are there any soundexamples for cycles+filter from the octatrack? i´ve just stumbled over two videos

Everything in this track other than the 808 is the Octatrack using single cycle waves, with the exception of maybe some minor effects.

This is only a simple example, you could get a lot more complex than this.

https://soundcloud.com/aaron-patrick/kwanzaa-beat

It is not limited at all. I have not dug into it deep as I get a lot of synthesis from other machines and without much thought. But, I’m sure one day I’ll really use it as a synth.
Every static timbre is possible, since you select the waveform you want to cycle. Using slices you can get some wavetable action. You also do not need to use just single cycle, you can loop many cycles to achieve things like PWM. The main limits are that you need to use the LFO for complex envelope shapes and the range at which you can change pitch without changing the timbre.

I’d like to try out 7 oscillators modulating their amplitude in and out with the filter and amp envelope on the master track.

Plus, it has a truly incredible sounding filter.

Something like this might be fun: Two oscillators for three different pitch ranges along the keyboard and the seventh track as a noise source. Track 8 master for filter and amplitude.

Is this the site to go to for single cycle waves?

Many single cycle waves there , but with the octatrack , in the ‘trim’ tab you can zoom in on any sample you have loaded into a machine and select any single cycle , if you hold function while adjusting , it will anchor to zero crossing points. Then you can move it at will to get slightly different results with all your machine settings still in place.
David

You can do a lot! Highly recommendable. All synth sounds on this track was made with single cycle waves

Somebody did this too:
http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=37&Itemid=30

That vco.wav file is brilliant. It solved for me issues with the Adventure Kid collection, since there are several octaves contained in vco. It was very smart to put the waves in slices.

Is there any way you can you get portamento effects between notes when using the OT this way?

Yes, P-lock slides.

can you have one cycle wave for each midi note, so no transposing in ot?

You can transpose :slight_smile: