Simulate chorus?

Hello,

Is there a trick to simulate a chorus effect on the Rytm ? I know i can pan a sound, but what i would like to do is something like a chorus effect : the sound will play on the right channel about 10ms after it plays on the left channel. By doing this the sound plays more ‘spacey’ on the stereofield.

2 Likes

I sometimes use the delay send with a very short delay time, then play with the feedback starting from around 64. This works especially well for thickening and shimmering the sound of the hats and snares, but it requires that you give up other uses for the delay effect.

11 Likes

This.

1 Like

Is it possible to modulate the delay time on the Rytm?
If so, slowish lfo on delay time, short delays (around 20ms), experiment with feedback and lfo depth.

2 Likes

Yep.
Edit : I gave it a test. Minimum delay seems not very short, twice longer than OT’s, so delay time mod with lfo, depth 1 is not great.

3 Likes

Is it chorus or panning you want? What about modulating the pan with a fast LFO?

2 Likes

Or a copy of the track on 2nd track, hard panned, delayed with microtiming.

5 Likes

Actually what i’m looking for is a stereo spread effect, where the sound starts to play 10ms after in one channel. This can be achieved by using 2 tracks and microtiming as Sezare pointed out, but i was looking for a way to do this without loosing an additional track.

The Octatrack chorus FX can achieve this.

1 Like

Depending on the sound you’re using you can try to use microtiming on the same track and set the trig after or before very close to the other trig (even though they cut each other off).

Then use the LFO destination to Panning at a really high speed. Try a variety of LFO shapes. It kinda gives you that microtiming left / right delay feeling you get by delaying left and right stereo channels.

You can also experiment with setting the main trig panned one way and the microtimed trig the other way and only trig the fast panning LFO on one of the trigs. Maybe add reverb or delay to taste as well on only one of the trigs to extend its time without having polyphony.

This isn’t going to give you a super specific sound but it might suit your needs.

Delay is tied to tempo. Just make a song at the Rytms max tempo :smiley:

aaaaand now I know what I am doing after work.

E: For those who may have thought this sounded a bit too wild, don’t forget you have that scale feature so you can make any track sequencer run at a slower rate.

4 Likes

Sorry to hijack, but what if I want chorus (not simulate) I miss chorus on hihats, is there a external chorus pedal/effect that works well with hihats from the RYTM?

Cheers!

I‘ve had the chance to play with a few BBD based chorus pedals and most of them are somewhat dark and more focused on mid/low-mids. I guess that‘s because of how these analog delay lines are designed? So if you‘re looking to chorus your hats, maybe look for digital based effects to retain the treble.

But I‘ve only ever borrowed these units, never thoroughly tested anything, so take this with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Remember also that you can resample on the AR. Set up whatever effect you want, sample it and use that sample on a pad/track. You could get fancy with sample chains if you need variations of the effect. This way, you get to use the delay “normally” again.

2 Likes

Boss DC-2w in the studio (Dimension D) mode is really nice, especially if what you want is width. The CE-2w is my preferred conventional analogue chorus pedal, it’s nice and thick sounding.

You do often get some treble loss on BBD based circuits but the modern Waza Craft pedals are high quality, low noise floor and I don’t notice any detrimental effects. Also it’s much more noticeable on delay effects where the signal is fed back through the delay line repeatedly.

2 Likes

Addendum: I was looking at digital chorus effects as well, I ended up going analogue with the Boss pedals and picking up a second hand Mod Factor for digital multi modulation, but the Strymon Ola looks really good if what you want is a hi-fidelity chorus with a lot of options (eg vintage and digital in the same pedal).

1 Like

@igtheflig @Lauli There is the MXR Carbon Copy “Bright” pedal.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=34g5K3Yi6hE

1 Like

The MXR Carbon Copy Mini and Carbon Copy Deluxe both have the bright mode switchable.

Carbon Copy is primarily a delay though, not a chorus. The modulation depth and speed is only controllable via internal trim pots, except on the Deluxe, which has them as front panel pots. So the Deluxe would be an option, but only if you’re ok with it being mono.

I´ll go for the resampling solution.

Regarding to resampling, is there a quicker way to assign the new sample to a track and, at the same time, make that track blank?

In AR and DT I resample and then I have to go page by page clearing them or clear the whole track and then select the new sample.

It would be nice to have like a “freeze and flatten” option.

I was wondering if we could recreate a chorus with the AR delay but no luck.
I did notice that the LFO depth can be set between 0 and 1 (it’s not only 0 or 1).
The mp3 below starts with the dry signal then I increase the depth of the LFO so that it reaches 1 (way too much) then I decrease the depth so that it stays near 0 but not quite. I then remove the delay send (dry) and increase it again slowly. Can’t really get a chorus though, too bad… Now that there is the DVCO, a chorus would be very useful…

1 Like

That doesn’t sound too bad :thup:

1 Like