Simplistically beautiful songs

True. Simple is a subjective term. A simple phrase could be easy for some but difficult for others.

The best drum and bass band in the world!

2 Likes

Exactly why I like to see everyoneā€™s approach to the topic/question :grin:

2 Likes

Slowdive - Blue Skied anā€™ Clear

2 Likes
1 Like

Pneuma. Adam Jones breaks down the riff and it seems simple. But yeaā€¦best song ever right now
-except for Descending-

2 Likes

This is a hidden track from a 90s album I never listen too anymore. I do go out of my way to listen to this one song once or twice a year.

My theory isnā€™t strong enough to know if the composition is ā€œsimpleā€ but the recording, just a voice and piano, itself is so raw and intimate that Iā€™d call it simple. You can even hear the squeak of the sustain pedal and floor at some points.

I agree with someone above that said ā€œsounds simple, but isnā€™tā€.

Some favorite artists of mine, that could fit this.

Goldfrapp - William Gregory is really good at making a simple yet catchy tune, with layers and layers of details if you listen closely. Allisonā€™s voice doesnā€™t hurt either.

Martin Galway - C64/SID musician with a typically minimal style, lots of arpeggios with subtle changes over time.

Phillip Glass - The emperor of minimal subtlety. :wink:

Richie Hawtin - All of the above in Techno format.

Hot Chip - Simple funky melodies that stick in the brain.

Nine Inch Nails - Some tracks, but not all obviously. Iā€™m thinking things like Only, Echoplex, Closer, etc. Simple beat, nice bassline, etc.

Joywave has some good simple, but fun tunes ala Hot Chip as well.

There are a million others of course, but these come immediately to mind.

Hereā€™s a Martin Galway tune that I love. You have to listen for several minutes to start noticing the underlying intricacies in an otherwise simple tune.

Hereā€™s a good one. Alessandro Cortini:

4 Likes
5 Likes

Am I missing something?

i had my answer right away

6 Likes

This right here.

Itā€™s just a happy little poem done in canon and I love it for some reason. I give it a listen now and then throughout the years since I first heard it. Reminds me a lot of some of the Katamari Damacy soundtracks with that synthesized voice.

4 Likes

Whooooa what.
Thatā€™s weird and beautiful. How have I missed this?

Iā€™m hearing all kinds of awesome stuff tonight thanks to all of you.

2 Likes

So I guess thatā€™s where Imogen Heap got the idea?

Her other work is worth checking out too though that one is probably her magnum opus sonically. Sheā€™s a very interesting artist.
That track was done entirely with the vp-330.

1 Like

I had a really nice listening experience Yesterday evening, so much music that just hits/aims straight in here!

2 Likes

I recently learned how in classical compositions thereā€™s certain traditional rules that voices never go over/under each others pitch/register. Interesting to see exactly that happening here! (interesting rule though, why not weave under/over each others melody lines?)

1 Like

Nice track! Did you see him in Knob Twiddlers? He actually spoke about how by now, since his more mature/later years as artist, he really doesnā€™t care at all anymore about conventions or expectations about what would be/consist of a full/real/proper/done track. He just puts stuff out when he feels/digs it, even if itā€™s a rough little something. Great fit for this thread!

1 Like

This thread of course isnā€˜t complete without

6 Likes

The vibe from this era is just so good. I liked when IDM was more melodic and introspective like this.

2 Likes