Simple, elegant, inexpensive, standalone recording device?

I’m reminded of a joke told in my 7 year old’s zoom class the other day.

What did the zero say to the eight?

Punchline

Nice belt.

5 Likes

Looks like the swiss army knife of mobile recorders, but also looks like this alien facehugger creature^^

Still haven´t decided on a mobile recorder, wanted to get one for years. If you use that pre-recorder function (record few seconds in advance), does that mean you´ll end up with a button click (from pressing the rec button) on the recording?

Can be avoided by using an app to remotely control the recorder or a remote control, I guess?

*Edit
Of course it records the button press, lol, I need more coffee…

2 Likes

Zoom H5. I have a H4n and it’s great, but the H5 is an upgraded version.

zoom h6 here, works great

1 Like

Zoom H5 +1

1 Like

Yes, of course, you’ll end up with the button click (and probably more). With mics directly attached to the recorder remote controls are your best friend (handling noise is cruelsome on the cheap options like the entry level zooms).

1 Like

Thx. Actually I don’t know why I asked, it’s obvious, that it will record the button press. I might need a few more coffees, I guess. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I had an head start on these :smiley:

2 Likes

Or a spider without legs … :content:

Many choices. I wouldn’t choose a non audio class compliant now.

H4N PRO has same quality recording as H5/H6 afaik.

1 Like

Sure, but the H5 is just a bit more sleek, has better pre-amps and has an internal battery, does it not?

I heard that H4N PRO inherited from H5/H6 preamps, not 100% sure…
More fx / guitar friendly maybe…

I used to have a H4N Pro and recorded full takes for an album with it.

It does the job, not super compact but the XLR/jack combo input can be very useful.
The different modes Sezare56 is mentioning can be confusing but also useful for field recording. They can allow use to « aim » a sound while excluding others - very useful in nature.

And yes the preamps are the same than a H5.

1 Like

knobs are better on H6 … just a detail, but after trying both, i prefer the zoom H6 … as for the sound, you won’t hear the difference

ah ! and the H6 is 14 gr lighter :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you can live with 16 bits and something about the size of an iPad check out the older Boss BR600. Works with 6AA has onboard mics although probably not as nice as the ones on other portable recorders. Preamp for mics and guitar inputs. Records onto CF card. You get 8 tracks with a tonne of usable onboard effects. Cheap as chips too, I got mine on eBay for about $60USD including shipping.

1 Like

+1 for the Zoom H5. Although i think i would have bought the H4NPro instead if it had the interchangeable mic capsules.

I didn’t get the H6 because as far as I could tell from the manual at the time, you couldn’t move a file recorded on inputs 1&2 to track 3&4, so you would have to move the audio cables to another set of inputs to do a separate track from the same source . Zoom H5 you can, but to be fair, moving audio jacks is probably quicker, haha.

Also, having on board mp3 encoding and being able to mount it on your phone as an sd card reader is great when you want to quickly share something without stuffing around too much.

+1 Tascam DR-40X

I’ve got the Izotope Spire and I really like it!

It can be its own mic or accept inputs.

You can load tracks in and sing or play over them or not.

The onboard FX and built-in soundcheck are really nice.

It’s a really cool little device

Just bought an H4n. The one I bought on Ebay was only 40 bucks more than an H1n and I have the sneaking suspicion that in the future I will want xlr input and phantom power, even if at the moment I dont care. I’d rather future proof myself instead of lamenting the idea that I need to carry around a little mixer or something. Came with 2GB SD card too.

Anyone got recommendations on rechargeable batteries? I think this takes AA…

2 Likes

I heard good things about Eneloop but I didn’t try them.

1 Like

Eneloop Pro are awesome… definately recommended :+1:

big capacity (2550mah) and retains 85% capacity after 12 months in storage

2 Likes