Simple, elegant, inexpensive, standalone recording device?

Just check out the Zoom devices like H4N and upwards …

• line in
  • instrument in
  • mic in (even with phantom power)
  • 4 and more tracks, depending on the model …
  • hi-res audio

The H4N Pro goes for less than 200,- EUR at Thomann

Very compact! I just read your AF review, so it is audio class compliant now. Yes omnidirectional only can be annoying. I have several choices with H2N : Cardio/MS, XY, ALL (360, 4 tracks), external mic.

2 Likes

Not simple nor elegant! :pl:

the DR-40 / 40X is solid

1 Like

Depends … what is meant by “simple” … ?

• few functions or
  • cheap, or
  • ease of use

I use an old H4N for years now … it’s as simple to use as one of those old cassette recorders. Plug in a mic or an instrument, or use the two mics, which are built in, select your track, hit record and that’s it.

IMO they are quite small and affordable. I would buy it again …

I agree … they are not really supposed to win a beauty contest :wink:

1 Like

I had my father’s H4N a bit, but as it has many recording setup possibilities, options, fx…it doesn’t seem simple compared to a more limited H2N. See what I mean? :wink:

I have one of the old-ish Zoom H4, it works perfectly well. I used to use it for capture field recordings on my walk to work, nice stereo imaging and clarity. You can’t go wrong really.

Real cute! How’s the battery life? Does it wake up instantly?

Yep … :wink:

TBH … I tend to check the options, select the ones I need, and ignore the rest :wink: .

I fear that I own some units, which have much more under the hood than I am aware of … shame on me … :flushed:

1 Like

I tend to test everything possible, and feel frustrated if I use less than 10%. :content:

3 Likes

I have one of these Sony icd-ux560 and I love it:

1/8" line-in works like a charm, and the built-in microphone makes decent field recordings as well. It doubles as a thumbdrive, and the .wav files it records can simply be dragged off onto the computer using the finder/file explorer.

It’s smaller and lighter than a lot of the recorders I’ve seen as well, easily fits in a pocket.

Definitely worth considering.

2 Likes

Audio Class Compliant?

it also comes with 4GB memory which means I wouldn’t need to buy an extra stick…so that’s nice.

nope - just records to internal memory (expandable w/ a card iirc) — some choice over recording formats, but I use 16bit 44.1 .wav

Yup - I’ve just used the internal memory, even recording uncompressed wav there is LONG record time.

Well if we’re talking elegant:

But if you want something simple AND hi-fi then you can’t go wrong with the H1. Had a H5 also which was nice for multi track stuff.

5 Likes

I have one of these and I straight up love it!

1 Like

Really dig the Zoom recorders.
The H1n is great for the price.
The H6 is great.

Simple, elegant, inexpensive? :content:

4 Likes

Batterie life is approx 15h continuous recording or playback as per the specs , and it can be USB powered. Boot-up is a bit long for my taste (around 5 seconds), but I must admit but I can’t compare to similar devices. I saw this one, liked the form factor and having a decades-long positive experience with Roland products it was a no-brainer for me. I forgot to mention it has BlueTooth and an associated remote control app.

1 Like