Simple, elegant, inexpensive, standalone recording device?

If like a Zoom you mean, then Zoom.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at this too. I would suggest checking out the Zoom H1n/H2n, or Tascam DR-05X. I used to have the former but found it quite flimsy and cheap, so I’m going for the Tascam this time.

3 Likes

Can second the zoom h1n. Perfect for what I need and a case makes me feel better about how flimsy it feels. It’s WAY smaller than I expected which I guess is a plus

Big-up the Tascam DR-05X.

4 Likes

I picked up the red edition Zoom H1N on sale. It’s amazing how versatile it is for $80. One of the best purchases I made all year, sounds great. Spent a ton on preamps and end up using the H1n way more due to simplicity.

It can also be an audio interface. I use it all the time for my clients phone system prompts directly into the PC.

Good luck, I really don’t think you can wrong with any of the bigger name field recorders. Almost all have great reviews.

2 Likes

The H1N has overdub possibilities no?

I have the H2N, paid 70€, does the job. No overdub, more mics combinations. I tried H4NSP I bought for my father for a while but I found it too big.

@GirTheRobot you don’t need XLR connectivity?

Thanks for the suggestions. Question:

I see most of these only have a line in. If I were to take the headphone output from my mixer into the line in using a stersterno aux cable, will the stereo panning information be maintained and recorded?

Tascam DR40x. 4 track recorder. 2x Mic and line inputs. Mono stereo etc.

3 Likes

Sure! Unless the recorder line in is mono only, but I can’t see why nowadays.

Are you looking for a field-recorder to record interesting sounds, or something to capture jams?
If the latter, you can sometimes find these cheap: https://www.reloop.com/reloop-tape-2

Beside a fancy housing I see no real benefits compared to, for example, a Tascam DR-05X.

Yes and non destructive. Creates a separate wav file per overdub. At least that’s what I understand, admittedly never tried it.

1 Like

Yep. I had this on a Korg Sound on Sound. I layered up to 40 tracks, possible to use them in a DAW.

1 Like

The Sound Devices Mix Pre 3 may suit your needs? Really cute and robust little package. You can purchase a multi-track plugin for it also (Musicians Plugin). They have higher input and channel count variants if need be - perhaps the 6 would be more appropriate. Often GAS over one of these myself tbh.

1 Like

Is 710$ inexpensive? :content:

3 Likes

Oh, missed the inexpensive part :joy:

3 Likes

Zoom H5 has been doing well for me for years. About two years in it got the sticky case problem that’s so common with them Zoom now offers free replacement for life if they get sticky (or at least they did a year ago) but I was lazy and just deal with it and it went away on its own after 7 or 8 months. Other than that I have nothing but good to say about it. At some point I’m going to pick up the preamp module for it so I can use it with 4 external mics easily. I haven’t used the overdub functionality much but occasionally I’ll use it to record an instrument that’s too quiet to keep up with my computer fan. Export a mono reference track, load it onto the Zoom, and use overdub to record some takes of your acoustic instrument, then lad them all back into your DAW and choose the best or comp something together. Works great, preamps and converters are nothing special but not a problem either, just relatively transparent. And it works as a 4 in 2 out USB audio interface, so that’s useful.

2 Likes

Simple.
Elegant.
Inexpensive.

I solved it!

Slimline means it’s portable FYI

20 Likes

I use the Roland R-07. Very well made, no protruding mics, small, has tuner/metronome, is USB class compliant : I also use it as a mic for my Zoom-meetings (no pun intended!). Pristine recording quality. No overdubs and such: it’s not a DAW replacement, it’s a field-recorder. . But it fits in your pocket so taking it with you when you go out is a no-brainer. It’s omni directional, one needs to be aware of that before buying. No such things as noise rejection. Just pristine audio recording and playback.

1 Like

Just check out the Zoom devices like H4N and upwards …

• line in
  • instrument in
  • mic in (even with phantom power)
  • 4 and more tracks, depending on the model …
  • hi-res audio

The H4N Pro goes for less than 200,- EUR at Thomann