Sidstation logo on back

Just a quick question, did all sidstations have the elektron logo on the back or were some blank ?

yes I believe they all had an Elektron logo on the back.

a quick Google seems to confirm this. as well as for the Ninjas and the (ultra limited one-offs) blue, red and gold ones. I think the base was the same for all of them (with the Elektron logo on it) and they just changed faceplates for the different colors and the limited “final release” ones.

1 Like

Cheers, have seen one for sale but it’s blank at the back ?

strange… are you sure they didn’t tape over it or scrape the paint off? I doubt it’s fake, if that’s your concern; I’ve never seen any fakes and it’s not the most popular synth, nor easy to clone. could maaaaybe be an early beta but those were the colored ones I think.

speaking of which, there’s a gold beta one on Reverb for a cool $6500, if you’re interested :crazy_face:

1 Like

This is the picture

yeah I just found one that sold on Reverb as well: https://reverb.com/item/602764-elektron-sid-station

that’s via Switched On, a reputable seller. so I wouldn’t suspect fake. it might be the same one you’re looking at too. also note the flat head screws, not Torx, for the midi connectors. maybe it is an early one…?

1 Like

It’s this one

Both of them got no logo, that’s why I asked to check if the early models were blank ?

yeah, could be. news to me though! I was only aware of four versions: ninja, colored beta ones, limited/numbered final ones, and the regular production one. all had the Elektron logo.

remember though that this was Elektron’s first product. they (mainly Daniel Hansson I believe) built it in college in a cardboard box. when they took it to market, maybe they hadn’t figured out branding
yet. because that one has no Elektron logo on it at all. only the OS screen and manual show it. curious if it has a serial number even…

1 Like

Incognito edition.

2 Likes

I was ready to pull the trigger on a black ninja the other day but it sold :cry:

How much did it sell for? Just curious.

I’ve seen Ninjas sell for “reasonable” prices the past few years. they used to be closer to $2k or something and $1500ish for a normal version. now both are closer to $1k generally.

it’s a great synth. the menu system/editing it takes some getting used to, but it’s not awful. the only negative really is that it’s easy to have it dominate a mix. and unless you plan on having “that sound” all the time, that can get tiring. probably the reason why I’ve bought and sold it three times, haha.

hmmm… maybe I need another…? :thinking:

P.S. if you get one, budget for a noise gate too.

1 Like

It was on reverb for ÂŁ1000 and the guy was open to offers

1 Like

Early ones did not, mine didn’t.

2 Likes

Cheers, that answers that question :+1:

Yeah pretty sure first 100 were plain on back, not sure about later batches, IIRC serial number was just label machine tape stuck on bottom.

1 Like

So would you recommend to get a newer one, I have read about chips failing ?

Not sure about reliability, I sold mine some years back.

There was a rom update where the chip had to be swapped out to update it with the new firmware (think I still have the old one somewhere) all of the old ones would have had this done as Elektron sent them to all users and it was simple to swap them out.

I did some of the presets on it BTW.

1 Like

Generally speaking I’d say try and get a newer one just to be cautious. When I contacted elektron about mine a few years back (massively regret selling it tbh), I was told there aren’t many people who know a lot about the sidstation still working at Elektron. I still got loads of help and eventually figured out the issue myself, but something to keep in mind if you do run into any problems.

1 Like

I saw that the other day when I was reading some threads on it , nice one :+1: