SID PSU availability

Hullo,

Trying to find a new PSU (EU) for my SID station. It’s a jungle out there! Anyone have a good tip for where they maybe bought one that fit the specs and worked well, or know a place/site that is likely to have one? Or just a shop where you can filter in your exact specs and voila. Can’t seem to find. Preferably in Europe, even better Scandinavia.

Merci!

People find MyVolts hit & miss. I had good luck with a PSU but had to get a replacement for one of their USB->5v adaptors.

1 Like

Thank you! Close, but I need EU plug …

(I can of course clunk an adapter on there, but would love it if I didn’t need to – and it feels like it should be possible to find – but also, difficult … hm …)

Sorry. MyVolts are (I think) EU based. When I view their site on an EU VPN gives me pretty flags and appropriate pricing, so I just assumed it would do the same for the hardware :wink: Some of their gear has swappable plugs. Perhaps you could email them and ask if they do the shape you need?

1 Like

You’re totally right, of course!

I kept landing on myvolts.co.uk and I couldn’t find any option for other sockets (their worldwide phone no. also seemes to be UK). But the little german flag took me to their german site and all was solved.

Thank you so much again – this was exactly what I was hoping for. :pray: :rainbow:

2 Likes

You’re welcome. They’re super-handy… just the quality is up and down. I’ve had good responses from their customer services though.

1 Like

necroposting here for help with a SidStation PSU for US use.

Elektron provides the following specs:

• Voltage: 6 VDC
  • Minimum Current Rating: 400 mA
  • Barrel Connector Size: 5.5 mm outer diameter, 2.1 mm inner diameter
  • Polarity: Positive center

Is this what I’m after or will i make the sidstation go boom? :smiley:

The barrel adapter inside diameter looks off. 2.1 mm vs 2.5 mm.

Edit: Drilling down into the pictures and specs, I looks like it’s 2.1 mm. It looks like it would suit your needs. Perhaps someone else can confirm. Two things you shouldn’t listen to me for; financial advice and electronics advice :wink:

1 Like

usually the listing is correct, the pictures are often generalizations of the product. you can message the seller to confirm. volts and amperage are fine. 2.5mm center *usually works on 2.1 pins, whereas 2.1 center will never work on a 2.5 pin.

if worst comes to worst, you could buy a $2 adapter that goes from 2.5 to 2.1 but I’m also 100% sure you can find one with a 2.1 inner as that’s the standard for *most guitar pedals, just often those are 9V and you want to be 100% sure that you buy 6V.

otherwise, you’re good.

1 Like

:joy: thank you for your thoughts though - always good to have two unsure people thinking tje same thing

thanks a ton - might make sense for me to go ahead and just get a 6v with the adapters. i thought those were a little suspect but will give them a shot. wasn’t share how polarity plays out since it’s asking for a positive center.

2 Likes

The listing specifically says it’s center positive so I wouldn’t worry about that part. My experience is that 2.5 barrel works on a 2.1 pin but if you’re purchasing a new one anyways then either get the correct one or purchase the adapter with it. I use adapters to go from a couple 2.1 PSU units up to gear that requires a 2.5 center so I can confirm it only works in one direction.

2.1mm center absolutely won’t fit a 2.5 pin but if you bought this one it would probably be ok. the adapter is so cheap though just buy it for peace of mind.

1 Like

here, you don’t need a right angle if you don’t want one (there are straight ones too) and you might find it cheaper but this is generally what you want:

5.5x2.5 female to 5.5x2.1 male. just make sure it does NOT say polarity reversal.

1 Like

Whole different can of worms, but if you find a linear DC supply instead of switching, you might quiet just a touch of the noise.

One like this:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/WDU6-600?qs=VZvlzY8g9V%2BGOxbsEnl1rw%3D%3D

Though check the plug size etc. These are nice DC transformers though.

1 Like

thank you so much!!!

googling… this is more complicated than i anticipated. thank you for that guidance.

2 Likes

no worries, good luck man. love them sid chips!

2 Likes

It’s not necessary to get a linear one, but it’s generally an improvement.

2 Likes