SID freeze (SidStation) from PSU issue

I had some problems with my SidStation freezing and having to reset all patch memory for it to restart, but just found this in the manual “Do not connect or disconnect cables to the unit with the power turned on.”

My power connector wiggles, have tried both “walmart”-style and actually tried with the newer for Octatrack markI. And the wiggling leads to freeze. However, that for me new information that you can’t connect or deattach cables when the unit is on is helpful.

Any advice on how i could make the PSU connector more firm connecting to the Sidstation?

To be honest, in my experience of working with electrical connectors of varying sorts your most reliable/long term solution would be to replace the female connector inside the SidStation. My guess is that the input has been mechanically worn out/ was defective to begin with.

I would’ve recommended trying different power cables first, but it seems you’ve done that.

I’m sorry I don’t have an easier answer :sweat:

Best of luck!

well i’d say that’s pretty good news if you think the machine itself might be in good shape!

1 Like

It sounds like a dip in the voltage is causing the microprocessor to freeze. Basically, if the voltage fluctuates too quickly, the microprocessor will read that change as data. That is my guess, but I am speculating.

Hopefully fixing the physical connection will stop the voltage from dipping.

As @Highways states, replace the input jack and you should be fine. Eventually you only have to resolder the jack as it has loosend over time.

Good luck in saving this synth classic.