Should software rollouts have their own subcategory?

Hey … curious what others think.

Lately there seems to be a flood of new posts where someone has built an app and is trying to draw attention to that. Maybe coded with AI help, maybe not.

If the app is supposed to make using a certain synth easier, the introductory post lands in that synth’s topic. If the app is more general, it lands wherever.

It’s all beginning to feel a little spammy to me, though I know I can be a grouch.

What if all this app promo had its own subcategory, in the Lounge maybe?

Coding peeps could still put a short app announcement for, say, MPCs, in the MPC thread … but that little post would link to the bigger features-and-vids post in the Apps subcategory.

Or would policing this just make more work for the mods?

Right now, all these happy app announcements are starting to look like giant billboards on my scenic Elektronauts highway.

44 Likes

I like the idea of a software category for sure. Also would make it easier to search.

9 Likes

This is a great idea. Easy to search, and easy to mute for those who don’t want to see it.

10 Likes

I’m a grouch too, when it comes to keeping the forum tidy. :slight_smile: So great idea! Absolutely +1 from here.

1 Like

Yes to unclogging the device threads. It really helps indie developers to get some forum attention, quality feedback and visibility where it actually matters. How about a section just for that so they get their own threads?

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea to me - if this can be done, could we also get a category for sample packs?

5 Likes

Good idea, agreed.

+1. Mods, please implement this. I’m tired of this forum turning into a marketplace for developers to sell their wares.

16 Likes

I also endorse this—it might also make the volume of “I invented a vibe code digitakt that generates random beats” posts more visible to prospective posters. Especially those first-time forum posters…

I do want to underscore how much I appreciate the coding efforts of active forum members who have, as with DigiChain and ElkHerd, made tools that really improve QoL for other Elektron users.

It seems pretty difficult, unfortunately, to reduce the overwhelm of weekly trash projects while not filtering out gems.

7 Likes

As someone who just recently released something I’ve been working on for the past several years, I would love a dedicated space to share. I’ve avoided posting about it because I’m just really cautious about it coming across as spammy if it didn’t match the category perfectly. I’m very proud of what I built, but I also want to earnestly respect this space.

19 Likes

Now I want to see what you made!

I proposed this very idea recently, the response from the Mods is here

That was asking for an AI category not software.

1 Like

Yeah but actually a good idea came out of it

I’m all for this. You can always DM the dev if you want to talk about it.

We don’t have any AI’s publishing sw on the forum, it’s still people making it, right?

Yup, totally organic and free range.

Sorry, I don’t take shell fish or human.

The Venn diagram is a circle.

I don’t love the AI slop and vibe coded apps that are getting posted here, but there are multiple examples of really good apps from dedicated, talented individuals already listed further up in the thread.

I do wish we had a software category, it would be cool but I get it’s another hassle for the mods with minimal overall upside for the forum. I just mute the AI garbage and move on.

5 Likes

The last thing I want is more work for our mod team.

I think, if the software created is specifically tailored for Elektron products, then it’s ok to post in the appropriate product sub-category / general.

If not “made for Elektron”, they get posted within an existing thread like “iPad Music Apps”, and add threads like “Audio Plugins”, “Desktop Apps”?

5 Likes