Should I sell this thing?

Yeah, I was trying to stay out of this as it seems off topic, but it’s not really…

I don’t expect anyone to feel the same as me, and I understand we all go through things that seem really big at the time. For me my perspective is just that I’m fortunate to be involved with any of this, and everything my stuff can do I see as a bonus, and never even worry about things it doesn’t do…

We’re all different, I understand humans do human things and naturally go through all sorts of emotional human processes, and so I don’t judge anyone, but to me there’s never anything missing and whatever is there is a blessing…

Granted I didn’t buy a box that was advertised as having something and it doesn’t a year later, that would upset me temporarily, but I’m sure I’d make the best of it and move on like I always do…

2 Likes

i’ve sampled a ton of random internet sounds and uploaded more samples than i’ve been able to use thus far. I’m at 33% capacity.

2 Likes

using this recently to try to write songs, i found it a MASSIVE pain in the ass to record like 10 takes to play the whole song. i’d rather it behave like ableton with scenes…i now fully grok the pain of no song mode

Are you sure? We haven’t heard anything in a while.

It’s probably worth saying that the reason why the Digitakt’s many bugs and lack of OB are so frustrating for many of us (including me), is because we have worked damn hard to afford a fairly expensive, supposedly top of the range device that doesn’t work as expected. It isn’t ungrateful to be disappointed in that scenario. I don’t want to just throw my hands up and go: “c’est la vie”, because that would be a huge waste of resources I could have spent on something else. I value what I have, which is why I feel so short changed.

I’m perfectly fine with trying to find workarounds in the meantime to see how things pan out, but the alternatives that have been offered so far aren’t really practical.

1 Like

We haven’t heard anything in a month, before that- 2 months, before that-7 months.

Not to mention streaming 8 channels of audio happened with OB on the Rytm, It’s totally possible, they’ve done it before.

There’s no need to panic/inspire panic

1 Like

I don’t wanna ruffle anyone’s feathers, and I’m not going to judge anyone on there feelings or situation they are in… I can only explain myself and how I would feel… Even if I put in a years worth of work I’d still be stoked I was able to afford this box that does amazing things even if not all I thought it was going to, and I’d happily record the stereo pair, and then I’d decide to keep or sell it. I don’t expect you to feel the same way as your not me, but I’m willing to offer another perspective…

I’m not telling anyone what to think, I’m offerering a reference of what some other person might think…

1 Like

I 100% agree with Open Mike. & I get what you’re saying Cupfungus…hopefully you can learn from this situation…for example, even equipment that costs $2,000 has bugs & is without features. There’s always risk. So if you work hard for your money & want a device to work as expected, make sure it works as expected…at least as much as you can. Minimize risk. Do research, make a list, ect. If you buy a product that just got released? Realize you’re taking a risk & there is a good chance all the bugs haven’t been worked out. Make sure you are ok with that. Or don’t & be frustrated :o) It’s your life…you can feel how you want…I prefer to feel happy :o) So whatever situation I’m in I focus on the good, not the bad. & if the bad is in my face, I make it good or I get it the f@%k out of my face.

2 Likes

I read my post & I’m sorry, I’m preachin & in a way sounding very condescending. I don’t mean too, I understand it’s frustrating. & it’s awesome you’re looking for alternatives & not just giving up.
I go way too deep sometimes.
I hope OB comes soon & good luck!

3 Likes

It’s good to be neutral in understanding others situations, just because you or I feel one way doesn’t mean we should ram it down people’s throats… I understand the OB thing is really frustrating for some people, and that’s OK, I’m not going to tell them they shouldn’t be frustrated, that would be kinda egotistical of me… I will however politely offer how I would feel, so it can be considered as a reference to possibly formulate a new perspective for somebody, or just as easily be dismissed. I’m not attached to the outcome of my statements and who takes what from them, they are just how “I” feel…

2 Likes

I understand what you say and I agree to a certain extent, however I think it’s important to note that this instrument is the cheapest elektron sequencer yet and certainly not the top of elektron’s range, not to mention other brands, or even other classes of instruments (acoustic & such) where prices can go way higher. As is, the DT is pretty cheap… most electronic instruments are if you look at the situation from 30 years ago…

But yes, as cheap as it is, it’s certainly too expensive if it doesn’t work for you. But what then ? It’s either wait or sell it, like your thread title says… I would wait, because Elektron must have so much pressure on this that eventually it will be released soon.

I know, I know, I went too far, I apologized. If you knew me you would know my intentions were good, I’m just blunt & to the point & trying to evoke thought. I’m new to the whole forum thing…slowly learning. & I’m extremely passionate.

2 Likes

All good, to both of you! No offence taken at all. It’s been a good thread with lots of genuine suggestions.

3 Likes

It was advertised as only having basic overbridge was it not?

Didn’t seem condescending at all to me!

Let us know how you make on with it!
Don’t give in to GAS, unless you really don’t get along with the digitakt imo.
Good luck.
And sure, I feel you guys for being annoyed by some issues from elektron.
But I still feel, especially having gone through a lot of dumb GAS purchases, that it’s best to get really good at a few pieces of gear.

I was following this thread and kind of fell out of the loop and it looks like a lot of discussion has gone on since, but just throwing these thoughts out there:

Ultimately it comes down to accepting the machine as it is in this moment of time. Make of it what you can even if it doesn’t live up to its theoretical ultimate potential. If that isn’t good enough, there are really only a few options:
A) Various workarounds people have already suggested, whether or not they work for you. If not, then move on to:
B) Sell it, in which case OB will probably come out within a week.
C) Keep it and wait for OB, in which case it will probably take a year or two to finally come out, maybe even never.

I say those tongue-in-cheek but also you really should consider them as possibilities.

Even though we know OB is coming “eventually” … who knows when? And who knows how functional it will truly be at first? So if you keep it only with the hopes of OB coming out, what if that never happens? Can you still be happy with it and use it?

Conversely, if you sell it and OB comes out in less than a month or whatever, how would you feel about that scenario? Would you be OK with buying another and losing some money?

My apologies if people have already stated similar ideas, but that’s about all I can contribute :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the sake of all of us: PLEASE SELL IT!

(just joking)

3 Likes

I traded my Digitakt for an OT just now. If Elektron manages to address some of my issues with it over the coming few updates there’s a good chance I’ll pick one up again. It’s a really fun little box that condenses some of the core features from the Rytm and OT in an affordable package.

That being said, I see no reason to keep it around in hopes of them updating it. If it doesn’t work for me now there’s no guarantee it ever will. Holding on to it would only make me get more and more annoyed with it I think. With gear it’s usually pretty easy to trade stuff and you could probably get your Digitakt back without losing too much money on it.

Everyone’s different of course. But whenever I begin thinking of selling a piece of gear, I know it’s time to sell. If you’re looking for something a little similar to the Digitakt I would recommend a mk1 Rytm. Prices have really come down since the mk2 release. You don’t get sampling or as fine control over start and end points, but you do get some killer analog drum engines, a nicer filter, analog compressor and separate outputs. Of course it also already supports Overbridge :wink:

I just sold my AR for a DT, lack of fine control, no loop scroll feature and the lack of midi sequencing was the reason, plus as a Logic user Overbridge never really worked properly for me anyway. I love the AR for what it does but If you looking for a “sampler” it’s not a good choice I don’t think

1 Like