Should I sell this thing?

What do you mean?
I programmed the beat, I know where the parts are
And I can use my ears and can see the transients, it’s pretty easy.
I don’t have a digitakt tho, I do that with my octatrack and/or mpc

Also, could using program changes in you daw allow you to track out your sequences with out needing a song mode? That way you might still be able to use track mutes to separate the parts?
Or does the digitakt respond to cc? You might even be able to program cc messages in your daw and automate mutes to facilitate tracking.

Basically if you like using the digitakt enough, you will find a way to do so! Otherwise sell it.
Not to be a broken record, but I loved my mpc 1000 back in the day and found tricks to work with it to track and mix.

…and in the winter, it was SO cold, that we had to stick newspapers under our shirts, so that we didn´t freeze so much.

1 Like

Well when ah was a lad, we ‘ad to lick t’road clean with our tongues. And when we got ‘ome, father would beat us to death!

2 Likes

I totally understand the frustration, I bought the Digitakt counting on OB release and multitrack functionality… But I am actually really liking its workflow. Right now I am recording my first EP with DT as it is…
Although it is a pain to record just the master bus, I use the DT for drums only, so I try to mix it as good as I can using the master page and tweaking filters, then just record straight to my daw… I add another kick track and then start the real mixing…
If I were you I would hold for at least one more month, try using this time to record (as well as you can) all the ideas that you already wrote, and hopefully it will be just the same time OB will be released. :crossed_fingers:
:mushroom:

1 Like

And at least you had a school to go to. Us, we were kept at home, cleaning the floors with a tooth brush. Our own tooth brush, that is.

4 Likes

Yeah, the good ol’ days were such a creativity booster … miss them :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I was a yungin, they killed us in our sleep every night
Now that I’m older, all I ever lost was my right eye :tongue:

2 Likes

Question for Cupfungus…when OB comes, what would you do to the individual tracks in your DAW? Is it possible to do those things when sampling? Do you have a mixer?
Someone mentioned that the Digitakt doesn’t have eq, but you could eq when sampling if you have a mixer. That’s actually what I do, take high end out of kicks & bass, low end out of snares, hi-hats, cymbals, melody, chops. I add effects to sounds in either my 404sx or thru guitar pedals, also when using Analog Heat, then I sample them into my MPC’s or Maschine. A lot of times, I’ll do 1 or 2 sounds at a time…I get something going, then I test out sounds I want to add to the beat, while it’s playing, I do whatever I need to do to the sound so it fits, then sample it & add it to the beat…you can get a good flow going depending on the equipment you have.
If you don’t have a mixer, maybe do some prep work in your DAW prior to sampling into the Digitakt? Instead of after.
& let’s say you do this, but when making the beat one of the sounds needs to be shaped differently …then just do what’s needed & sample it back in the Digitakt.
Doing this process could help you learn a lot as well…
I would start by thinking about what you would do to the sounds in your DAW if they were on separate tracks. & try doing it prior to sampling into the Digitakt instead of after. Then you can still “master” the entire song once it’s in your DAW.

Ironically I grew up in Michigan in a not so well off family, I spent two or three winters without heat as my dad couldn’t afford it. I was so embarrassed about it I didn’t even tell my friends. I would take cold showers in the morning and ride my bike over 2 miles through the snow to school…

This is a very true story, we were joking but it’s starting to hit home a little… Just getting this out there…
Warm people in the winter are very fortunate… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s more about mixing in the DAW to a level that isn’t possible with the Digitakt. It’s at a track level and about different parts of the song - not just an overall change to sounds. I also mangle a lot of the samples in the DT (shorter loops, etc), so it isn’t as simple as adjusting them before sampling unfortunately.

1 Like

I get that you want to do things that are not possible in the Digitakt & I understand mangling sounds, I make all my own sounds unless sampling from vinyl, but even then, I eq, do a lot of layering & add effects. & yes, you probably cannot do everything you would want to do to the sound prior to sampling rather than after the beat is made, but I bet you could get pretty close. Especially like you said you play the Digitakt live, mangle the sounds in the Digitakt & only want to “mix/master” in a DAW, not arrange, ect. Just a suggestion, since it is not possible for you to sample your tracks individually into your DAW while playing the Digitakt live, maybe think about what you would do to the sounds after & do it before instead. Unless you’re completely changing it once it’s in the DAW, but it doesn’t sound like it. Sounds like you would be basically getting the tracks to fit better in the mix in your DAW & a lot of that can be done beforehand. Just a thought. Good luck!

Easy for some, my bike had square wheels with no tyres. Builds character

3 Likes

I almost am the guy were talking about except I’m not demanding people be OK without multitracking… :joy:
My story is true, I had no heat in Michigan and had to take cold showers and ride my bike 2 1/2 miles though the snow… :slight_smile:

I know you’re not referring to me, but I think a lot of people are more trying to suggest other alternatives rather than demanding you be ok without multi tracking. The fact of the matter is, it doesn’t have OB. That’s that. If it’s important to multi-track? Buy something that can do it. & yeah that sucks that Elektron said it was coming & it hasn’t yet. That’s not cool. But if it’s an important feature to you I don’t get why you would buy something that doesn’t have the feature. Even if it’s coming…buy it when it has it.
When it comes to music there are soooooo many possibilities & workarounds. It surprises me how many people think they can only do something 1 way…but again, if that’s the case, buy the piece of gear or software that can do it. Not something that can’t & then complain about it (not saying cupfungus is complaining, talking in general here).

1 Like

No, I wasn’t referring to anyone… I’m barely in this thread, it’s very much a meta tangent…
Sorry, didn’t mean to imply anything to anyone, really…

For reference I don’t think I’ve ever once complained about anything on the forum, personally I always just make the best use of what’s available at any given time…
Carry on… :slight_smile: I’ll try to stay out of here unless I have something relating to OP…

1 Like

No problem at all & I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m completely ok with the “when I was younger” discussion…it’s actually entertaining (you’re previous suffering isn’t tho, I HATE being cold) I’ll admit I got a little defensive & I’m sorry, but only because I really am just trying to help…plus I love thinking of work arounds :o) It’s part of the fun for me.

1 Like

When I was a kid I lived in south Florida had to walk like half a mile to school. Sometimes my parents would even come pick me up. Then when I moved on to middle school, my bus stop was literally a block away.

(did I do it right?)

1 Like

Oh it’s all good, only made me a stronger person… Growing up like that too probably makes it easier for me to really respect the gear and anything else I have now and consider it a blessing to even have it… :wink:

1 Like

This part is brilliantly put

1 Like

I thought so too (flow part of workflow).

& yeah, when you lived in a time where things were difficult, the stuff available today is a blessing… mind blowing really. Things come so easy now, that the smallest thing is SUCH a big deal. & all though I can understand where the younger generation is coming from, at the same time, it’s like, it is what it is, instead of complaining about something you can’t change, DO something about the things you can change. I know it’s good to vent, but get it off your chest, move on & solve the issue.