Should acid die?

The 303 sound is eternal! If you were anywhere near me I would slap you with a wet fish you damn heretic :slight_smile:

13 Likes

303 sound is like the classic guitar sound.
Should folk/pop/country do not exist anymore because the classic guitar sound is always that one?

(I would develop more this topic, but I’m currently in lazy devil fish mode, sliding :smile:)

9 Likes

Well, there is A LOT* of shit acid, so maybe just listen to the good stuff?

*Just as in any kind of music.

Personally I tend (mostly) not to like “‘avin it” acid techno, mainly because 99.9% of it is utter shite, derivative and formulaic. Plus when it gets too fast and too “hard” it starts to sound like a comical parody, like they are trying too hard.

Also (mostly) I tend to dislike overdriven/distorted 303, but mainly because most of it sounds shite, it can sound awesome, but I think that a lot of producers don’t know what they are doing. It often just sounds like annoying screeching (channeling my inner @craig :joy:) and all the subtleties and dynamics of the 303 are lost under the screeching.

Also, acid is not one genre, there is acid house, acid trance, hard acid techno, acid techno, IDM acid, braindance acid, ambient acid, dub acid, electro acid, acid dancehall and lots more besides.

Should acid die is a bit like saying should the electric guitar die. To some yes, to others no.

If you don’t like it don’t make it or listen to it, piss with the cock you got, YMMV, etc.

18 Likes

Acid is still innovating

4 Likes

There’s never enough cowbell in acid so there you go.

7 Likes

Saving @craig the hassle of replying through the power of recycling :joy:

3 Likes

This question is similar to the one asked about the relevance of different hardware in the year of xxyy, and the same - but much older one - about the death of painting immediately comes to my mind.

As stated long ago, painting will not only remain relevant, but every previous form of painting will be used and reconfigured into new and vibrant styles of painting.

The news of the death of acid has been greatly exaggerated.

2 Likes

I haven’t eaten any in years. I thought it was dead.

3 Likes

80’s Hair Industrial Country Metal Acid House fusion is my new chosen genre.

I call it HICMAH8.

(pronounced ‘hick-mate’)

6 Likes

May I ask where are you from ?

I don’t care for that sound either. So cliche :roll_eyes:

I just ignore it, don’t listen to it.

1 Like

Right on, acid always :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think that elitism in art isn’t all that interesting or constructive. I could do without it, that goes with my own attitude as well.
I don’t think any genre of music should “die” but instead run it’s natural course and evolve into something else over time.
Honestly I don’t even know what “acid dying” even means when I stop to think about it.

3 Likes

clenched teeth “There’s this thing people have pleasure of, I don’t want them to feel pleasure!!!” vein pops

meanwhile:

10 Likes

…should metal die…?..err, which metal…?..that death one…?..or the thrash one…?
…should new wave become old wave…?
…i’d say, trance must die…but only the oldschool trance…not that psy trance…
…main thing is…gabba never returns…
…it’s gabber…oh, is it…?

1 Like

So… your taste have changed and now acid must die… whatever man.

12 Likes

:joy:

I like when I occasionally hear a 303 in a song, acid or not. It reminds me of the first time hearing or knowing what made the sound.
I love the sound, not all the songs, I first described it as “wet” or “liquid” sounding when it slides on a low note.
Had to get me a Behringa rip off.

1 Like

Easy now, friendo… :wink:

1 Like

i’m no fan of 303 but imo just because you are oversaturated with a certain style it does not mean it needs to die, you can replace it for yourself and remove it from your life pretty easily as there’s plenty of other music out there… i’ve had this phase with psytrance music once all of my fav artists from the late 90s were replaced by more plasticky polished shite, so i stopped going to parties that played that and replaced that music with something else that got me excited.
also, remember that some people are only now discovering what you’ve already forgot, let people enjoy!

1 Like