Shepard tone

Hi, it is posible to creat a Shepard tone on Model cycle and how to?

1 Like

What is a Shepard tone?

It’s when a note sounds like it’s constantly rising in tone when it isn’t.

3 Likes

4 tracks running, each with a sawtooth LFO controlling pitch and offset so that each tone is always an octave behind the previous one. Might take some tweaking but I imagine it should be possible.

2 Likes

good post.

2 Likes

You would have to get a little creative making each track go down in volume before the pitch jumps back down, maybe not possible without two LFOs.

I’m not sure a model can have two lfo destinations

This should be possible with three tracks:

“ As a conceptual example of an ascending Shepard scale, the first tone could be an almost inaudible C4 (middle C) and a loud C5(an octave higher). The next would be a slightly louder C♯4 and a slightly quieter C♯5; the next would be a still louder D4 and a still quieter D5. The two frequencies would be equally loud at the middle of the octave (F♯4 and F♯5), and the twelfth tone would be a loud B4 and an almost inaudible B5 with the addition of an almost inaudible B3. The thirteenth tone would then be the same as the first, and the cycle could continue indefinitely.”

2 Likes

You might be able to manage the discrete version with two tracks and p-locks. I think the continuous version requires two LFO destinations.

This is easy in a DAW.
https://www.344audio.com/post/article-creating-shepard-tones#:~:text=Gradually%20increase%20the%20pitch%20of,creates%20a%20falling%20Shepard%20tone.

Ive done it ableton with operator. As for doing it on model cycles, no idea.