Sharing my debut LP

Dearest Elektronauts,

I hope you won’t mind me sharing something I’m proud of. Released my debut album today via the stellar Waxing Crescent Records.

I won’t pre-load with too much emotion but the process of making this sorta held me together over the last year and was a huge help in re-routing this wonky ship. Elektronauts has been a reliable outlet throughout this change and new wee era of productivity: whether as a source of reference or just facilitating good nerdy nonsense chat that is otherwise lacking in my immediate surroundings.

Palette-wise it lands in an ambient/experimental pocket - mainly a little too twitchy/rhythmic/noisy in places to be strictly ambient.

For the nerds: the backbone of this record in terms of sound sources is Malekko Manther into Chase Bliss Audio MOOD that’s being both sequenced and modulated over MIDI by Digitone/OT. Supporting cast: Ableton’s Operator and TreeTone, M4L Turing Machine, Hologram Microcosm, OT, Digitone, Volca Drum, Yamaha PS-20, acoustic guitar.

Thanks,
Ross

16 Likes

Very nice textures and mood. I really like those “ceramic” tones I’m guessing are from the Microcosm. Also the stuttering and noisy echoes are quite lovely.

1 Like

Thanks for listening, Strutter :slight_smile:
I like the idea of ceramic tones!

MC is used relatively subtly with a few big exceptions. Mainly used as complementary width and pad-like atmospherics. Big exceptions to ‘subtle’ use are first and last tracks. Favourite noisy elements on this result from using Digitone MIDI LFO to control the ‘Clock’ on CBA MOOD and having the depth set so that the rhythmic bursts of the lowest quality settings can come through, to tempo etc.

1 Like

Really enjoyed this. Very atmospheric, wall of sound type of vibe going on in parts. I dig it. Hearing the Manther put a smile on my face. I don’t have mine anymore but have some fond memories of tracks I’ve used it on. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you, SIM80, glad it resonated with you.
And yeah, the Manther: do have some minor foibles with it but also love it. Highly tweakable, the per-step automation and being able to offset the tuning of the sub-oscillator is a really cool for evolving patterns, being able to fade in a sweet harmony etc.

Thanks for listening!