Share something

clear%20wota

The pads on the AR seems crazy awesome.
It should be possible, I guess, to plug a MIDI controller and make it change several parameters at once.

You can load serum wavetables into Icarus yes. Or load any wav file.

1 Like

Yeah or just program it with PLocks on the DT.

Earlier this year i made some music - also known as noise - using an OT, AR, DN and AH. Going crazy with the vocal sample in combination with OTˋs crossfader and scenes! On the AR i programmed a simple beat, leaving one track for assigning a random LFO to the sample slots for switching randomly through all the samples from the drumkit -> muting and unmuting this track generated some great surprises! :star_struck:

A week ago i found myself on a flightshow; always thought it would be a noisy, stressfull situation, surrounded by war- and technology-sacrificing nerds in functional clothings, discussing a new post-futurism-manifesto while drinking energy drinks and beer and celebrating their heroes: the death longingly pilots.
Long story short: itˋs all like that and it has been impressive.
Mind blowing sounds, extreme precision at high speeds, transhuman machines up there in the sky.

I thought there is this connection between the music i made and the event, itˋs the over the top noise. :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

So I’ve been tinkering around with doing some hats or cymbals on my Digitakt by simply taking eq’d noise and shaping it with amp, filter and LFO to a nice sound. Giving the sample always a different start position introduces some nice variation that way.

There’s a paper on the 808 cymbal, in chapters 3 and 4 it describes the method used for synthesizing the basic voice of the instrument. And so I tried to recreate a loopable sample in Audacity according to the specifications of the paper. But it doesn’t quite sound like the actual thing when I shape it further on the Digitakt.

This is what I came up with, there is some additional processing that I did, but it loops nicely and has a good metallic character. It just doesn’t sound like the 808.

Using the spirit of this thread, I was wondering if anybody has any kinds of constant sample loops to share for making cymbals or hats or any other kind of treble?

Nice!

I should probably get into nanoloop… I have it and never got past the intial “which control does what?” phase… just been too busy, but it feels kinda worth playing with!

1 Like

The two bandpass filters that the schmitt trigger oscillators go through makes a big part of the sound. Also, the VCAs and diode clipping adds to it as well. (Also three highpass filters after the VCAs… It’s complex! Essentially crude physical modelling, very smart design.)

It’s not possible to make a perfect loop with the (tr-808) frequencies since they won’t align evenly. I’ve been tinkering with a similar approach using divisible frequencies, but naturally it sounds more metallic with inharmonic frequency relationships… But with a good filter and a short envelope it is sometimes good enough and can be quite charming.

2 Likes

Eh, I kind of missed the point a bit maybe? I guess in your case I think the tonality is close, but it is missing the individual dynamics per highpass filtered signal. Might be it!

2 Likes

Yeah I’m aware that it’s not really loopable, I just made a 5 second tone and did a crossfade at some point where it didn’t sound too steppy. Also some amplitude correction. And some notch filtering and some clipping and some eqing and then some more, haha.

But actually I didn’t think of doing a loop with divisible frequencies, I gotta give this a try!

Today I tried recording a quick live jam with the Digitakt and Analog 4. Trying to do more regular videos and practice my workflow…

2 Likes

“Knock Knock”

2 Likes

Current noodling… Lrya , Octa, Dfam. (DFAM synched to Octa) sounds wonderful!

3 Likes

Building a new 4U panel after a long break from building. About 50% done building the circuit boards, and I’ve started wiring a few to the panel.

In progress:

8 Likes

Made a knob box for Mssiah on C64, just got to get some connectors to solder to it, I wanted it removable rather than drilling into the C64 case. Next up is a recap on the C64, fitting lumafix64, fitting sidfx for dual 8580.

Ha, I never anticipated how much diy would be involved just to get some sid action back into my setup, still quite enjoying it anyway.

Gonna try and learn some of the trackers like defmon and Sid Wizard as I find Mssiah cool but not enough low level control of the sid, want to get weird with the registers :rofl:

2 Likes

She’s a beauty!

1 Like

Also updated the panel sticker on the sync box

7 Likes

OK, here’s something I’d like to share.
I made this track a while back, when I was using an entirely different rig. I had only had the OT for maybe a couple weeks. It’s only playing in a drum break later in the song.
Most of what’s heard is the Tempest. I LOVED the Tempest, but it’s quirks had me quickly sell it once I saw that first Dataline video for RYTM. Once I got the RYTM. I decided to scale way back and get an A4.
This is a super raw version of this track. But I always loved how the Tempest sounded on it. Granted I’m using a mixer and multiple outs.

After I got the A4/trinity I tried hard to recreate this vibe, and it took a while. Lots of failed attempts, but then I thought I found something that worked. Although this trinity version is even old to me now, it’s kinda close.

7 Likes

Watch this if you haven’t already! I think it hits the 80’s neon, synthwave action movie asthetic spot on. Also, the production company “Laserunicorns” just wrapped the sequel. Should be right around the corner. Love me some Kung Fury!

7 Likes

Thank you so much @Cepheid. This just can’t stop delivering.

1 Like