Settings to use Comp as Limiter

My Moog can easily get out of hand in a mix (part), for example, when jumping octaves.

What would be some settings on the Compressor whereby I could effectively turn it into a limiter and not worry about, for example, quickly turning the track volume down?

I just turn Ratio to maximum value and Mix to maximum. Think this will work properly

Threshold too.
Apparently, you need comp settings rather than limiter.

There’s probably some controls on your Moog that will affect how it behaves as well. Usually a control to keep the filter cutoff where it is as you play higher instead of raising the cutoff according to key, and also some controls of how the envelopes reset and if they do it for every note or not. These and others probably will affect perceived volume as you play higher…

I was under the impression that a compressor makes all elements of a sound (or mix) leveled and a limiter catches peaks. There is nothing about the Moog I need squashed together, just caught in case it goes beyond a consistent level.

I’m sorry…I should clarify: M32. I’m assuming you mean “filter envelope”, which is doable of course, but then I loose the patch point while I may want it for something else.

But I’ll mess around with it. But for now I’d like an easy solution and the OTs compressor is right there.

I seem to remember hearing that cranking the RMS control in the setup of the Comp will change the way the effect behaves. Might be worth a shot to try turning that up.

1 Like

RMS adjusts the way the compressor works. A zero setting makes the compressor look for amplitude peaks and a max setting makes it react to the over-all energy level of the signal.

Judge with you ears, you can try, but I think max settings are for a mix rather than solo track.
Or the opposite ! :grin:

Usually, I do this to set Ot’s comp :
MIX = MAX
RAT = MAX
Listen and choose to the threshold turning down THR
adjust GAIN, RATio, ATaK, RELease, Mix and RMS !

1 Like