Setting up MIDI OUT with Analog RYTM MK2?

Your post was merged here to an existing thread. Answers and links to get you set up and mindful of limitations are posted above

Hi all,

So I solved the issue and it was the Virus ti2 at fault. I simply needed to route the Virus ti2 to the correct output source out of the 3 sources on the virus ti2.

So, basically the issue was a daft one. Although all Analog settings are correct after following everyoneā€™s advice.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

My understanding is pad out are going to autochannel.
As in the sequencer each track as its own midi channel starting at C1
Might be a work around I didnā€™t take the time to investigate

I think @Ryan81 was talking about the 2 octaves offset, solved by 1.50A Os.

Depends on settings

OUTPUT CH selects whether the [PADS] and the knobs will send data on the auto channel or the track channel.

1 Like

Still after Updating to OS1.5B I do experience the same midi range offset 2 octaves.

Anyone?

Iā€™m still having the same midi offset of 2 octaves when it comes to midi out.

Any advice?

I just upgraded to test. Itā€™s ok for me. MKI 1.50A
Now pad notes correspond to sequencer notes.
I tested with USB and DIN.

What is your note reference ?

Be careful this isnā€™t an issue of a different midi standard or whatever. Example: my MPC 1000 C_0 is my Analog 4 C_2 (I may have that reversed). This two octave difference is a common between different machines.

Yes this is why I asked that :

A4/AK/AR lowest note is C0, OT is C-1 ! :smile:

1 Like

Yep. There is no midi offset, but itā€™s simply a naming issue. The midi standard has never defined how octaves are named, so different manufacturers use different schemes. Midi note value 0 can be named C-2, C-1 or C0, but refer all to the very same pitch.

There are also differences between different devices from a single manufacturer. For example: On the OT the lowest note (MIDI note value 0) is named C-1 while on the A4 it is named C0.

1 Like

:wink: Itā€™s been a long time!
IIRC Yamaha is C-2, and Roland C-1, or the opposite! :smile:

1 Like

Got this. Maybe I should precise: When I send out Midi Out of RYTM II / OS 1.5A, the highest octave I can send out of RYTM still triggers very low octaves on external Synths. Or in other words: Impossible to trigger higher octaves on external Synths. Iā€™m shure Iā€™m missing out something, but I canā€™t figure it out. Iā€™m shure some of you guys can advise.

No bug, no offset, but a limitation.
MIDI note values 12ā€“60
+/- 24 semitones max.
Extending semitones above to max range would be a nice evolution. Doesnā€™t seem complicated to implement, limitating internal sounds to +24, and midi notes to max.

Till then, a midi processor can be useful (as usual) to transpose notes.

2 Likes

^this

youā€™re not - itā€™s not the same

same would mean that you understood the difference between a pad being hit and the corresponding difference upon that being sequenced back - thatā€™s where the offset was to be found

your issue is evidently nothing to do with that and has nothing to do with an offset

youā€™re just noticing that the range the MIDI outputs is camped in the lower half of the midi range - as it always has been - this is not new, itā€™s centred around Note 36 (+/- 24)

1 Like

Thanx a lot guys.

Hmmā€¦ from musical perspective I dont get the point. Why should you accept to just use the lower half of the midi range when getting creative?

So basically if I want the ARII /1.5A to send out midi to play a melody in the upper octaves of lets say my Prophet, AR II cant send them out because he cant reach these. Iā€™d need to buy an extra midi processor.
Iā€™m not so much into adding another extra box (midi processor). Especially not for an pricey instrument like the ARII.

Sweden is discriminating the uppper octaves? :slight_smile:

They didnā€™t originally, the first sequenced range was centred around 60, this may have been by design, but they possibly overlooked the divergence between the played pad MIDI output and the sequencing - having the pads and sequencing output transposed up optionally by two octaves would be a very reasonable feature request imho

feature-request@elektron.se

2 Likes

Yes, number 1 feature request concerning midi output. Imho midi output transpose per track would suffice, seems reasonable as they transposed it by 2 octaves twice recently ! :content:
Including a Pads Transpose option?

Eventually max range for midi notes (keeping +24 as max range for internal synth / sample)

Sure? Rytm and this for upper octaves! :heart_eyes:
schoenhutGBIG

Canā€™t you pitch up your synths?

3 Likes

Haha! Finally! Thats the solution!

Pitch the synths = shure itā€™s possible, but hey, thats really not sexy. Isnā€™t it?

1 Like

Done!:wink:
They were apparently happy.

4 Likes

Hi I am reading the newest manual but I donā€™t see anywhere I can change what note is sending out of my track. Itā€™s a simple setup for me - I want to send my RYTM kick to a Vermona Lancet. I believe everything is setup properly based on this thread but I need to find the right note to trigger the Vermona. I believe it needs C2. How do I change the note going out from my track 1, or kick pad?