Setting up a template OT project: Dedicated sampling PART

Hi guys,
I got a new OT recently and I’ve been sort of obsessing with setting up the perfect default template. I’m at work right now, so I can’t check, but does anyone have a PART set up just for filling the sampling buffers? That seems like it would be quite fast and useful to me.

I guess I would use this in combination with a specific pattern as well, so the part would have: All tracks assigned with flex machines, all machines assigned their respective buffer and then a temp recording trig and a play back trig set up on each track.

Then I assume after I’ve sampled, I can switch back to my composing/arrangement pattern and part.

Are there any major downsides to this that I haven’t considered?

2 Likes

I don’t understand how this template idea would be beneficial. I’m not trying to be difficult, I truly want to understand. Usually when I need to figure something out like this, I try to write out use cases as clearly as possible on a piece of paper and a pencil, because I get to erase and graph quickly and easily. Maybe spend some time doing that to see if you can figure out if it would be beneficial or not, and come back and share with us, because I at least want to know.

You just got the OT and you are already designing “the perfect template” before you even have used it? Just make some tunes with it and then see what you need. Keep in mind that unless you write the exact same song over and over again, or always approach arrangements from the exact same way, you’ll always be tweaking your setup. Just make music.

Well, no. I just got a new Octatrack. If you don’t want to engage in the question at hand, why even bother responding?

4 Likes

It would only be beneficial in that setup time is wanted creative time, but sometimes I would like to fill the sample buffers before moving to my regular slicing and composing part/pattern.

I find that if I am inspired by a sample from a listening session, it is crucial for me to not lose a lot of steam setting up the machines and I imagine the Octatrack has the benefit of parts to help me avoid it.

OT is ready for that : press Track button + REC 1/2/3 button (s).

I have a similar project template.

Without trigs.

You have to set REC SETUP 1 and 2.
What is your recording source?
Record on the fly? (ONE 2)
Synced, quantized? (QREC)
Loops?
Defined Length? (RLEN)

You also have to set Project Memory settings if you want to record more than 16s :
Dynamic Recorders: YES
Reserve Recordings : NONE
(Project settings, not with parts)

4 Likes

Ah got it, OK cool.

Making templates are fun and a good way to learn the OT.
Personally I would not chase the perfect one before exploring loosely.
Even then, I would do something very focused and spend time finding the most efficient, or fun way to do it.

That said, for about 4 years I used the same set.
I do like eventually getting to a place where I know where I put everything.
I want muscle memory, I don’t care for reading masking tape in a venue.

sezare56 will certainly line you out with a few ways to do whatever your after.
He’s like an OT ninja or something

3 Likes

So you have a second OT?

I did engage the question. I said “why bother looking for some definitive/ultimate template when you just got the machine?”.

But now you’re saying you’ve got “a new” OT, which I suppose implies you had/have an old one before it and so your idea about what you want to do is more concrete?

I sometimes do a version of this, though my approach is a little different — instead of a recording Part that’s full of Flex machines, I usually have a Thru machine and a few Neighbor tracks so I can pile on lots of effects, then capture the end result in a separate Flex machine. From there, I usually save the resulting sample to my Static list and switch to a different bank to make use of it in a blank pattern. It feels like a pretty efficient way to work for me.

My recording Part often has some EQ and compression on the Thru track coming in, then maybe some distortion, comb filter, delay and/or reverb on the Neighbor tracks that follow. Once the sample is recorded and those effects are baked in, I don’t want them around anymore, so I switch to a new pattern where I can start fresh with all tracks and effects slots available.

I use a similar approach for resampling on the OT (e.g. pick a “beat-making” pattern/part, build up a beat using one-shots across a bunch of tracks, resample it down to one track, save that sample and use it in another pattern/part where I actually arrange my musical idea).

Also, since the OT has 16 banks and the Digi boxes only have 8, I tend to use the extra 8 banks on the OT for any of this sampling/resampling work. That way I can keep my patterns in sync between the OT and Digi world, staying within those first 8 banks. Thanks for the 8 bonus banks, OT!

4 Likes

I’ve been playing with 1-4 as flex and rec buffers triggered by midi controller button box, recording main, played in chromatic mode.
Track 5 thru and track 6-8 static- triggered in different ways to fill the 4 record buffers.
So one side buffers and buffer players and the other side material to record. I have not been using the sequencer, just experimenting with sound design. It is good that you are thinking about you OT when your are away from it. That’s a sign that the mind meld has started.

2 Likes

Yes, this is a machine specifically for a studio space (maybe my profile will show, but I think I got the original Octatrack more than a decade ago), hence my desire for it to be set up to work extremely quickly, efficiently and effortlessly with a number of sampling sources already connected to it and then mangle those on a different setup/part where the sends are set up to be appropriately routed further.

1 Like

Thanks for the concrete suggestions! I guess you’re right in that I can do the two-button input to sample to the respective buffer and just have it the trigs and machine set up the way I like them to be used rather than for immediate sample playback of their own buffer.

1 Like