Setting project tempo from sample

Hey. I’ve had the OT a month. Going thru an instructional vid and using manual. Having trouble trying to sample into ot and build the project tempo around the original tempo of the song i’m sampling.
Track 1, track recorder R1, I record in my sample from itunes or where ever. I see sample on r1 and quickly hit {function}+{yes} and it plays back fine. If i try anything else the sample plays back slow …or fast. I go into sample edit…time stretch on/off…attributes time stretch …I’ve read the manual …I just simply can’t play it back from track recorder or save it to a slot and play it back…or trim it and play it back at the proper tempo. I’ve tried tap tempo. So Hopefully…rather than trying to figure out what I’ve done wrong as I’ve started over many times here trying different methods-
I would like to know how to simply sample something i like in to OT and build my project around that sample and it’s proper/ original time.
Thanks

The main thing is to have a correct loop with half bar or 1, 2, 4, 8, etc…
The tempo is shown in Attributes.
If you want you choose a different number of bars, set them in Attributes too.
Number of bars of a selection is shown in Audio Editor Edit page.
Hope it helps.

i suggest browsing youtube for some in-depth tutorial videos for the OT - its the closest thing to having someone there with you to demonstrate how to do it

1 Like

@growingfins Which instructional video are you using? Post it here and we can show you what you’re missing.

The reason I ask is that some of them do skip over some little details that are second nature to the poster but lost on a new user. Setting up sampling is very easy but if you miss a tiny detail it’ll leave you frustrated.

To get used to sampling first choose a method that suits you as there are options, one sentence that grabs me in your post is where you say “I quickly press” , I could be mistaken this leads me to think you may not be understanding how to sample at your own pace and you are being dictated to by the machine, no problem and easy done when new to it.

Are you using trig recording or manual or ???

Setting a project to your sample should be easy once you’ve got a loop that is a set bar amount, you need to record it and edit so you have equal beats and then simply go to your settings and look, you can then tell it how many bars you’ve recorded if it doesn’t know already (rarely happens in my experience and the OT is usually very good at it) and that will give you the tempo. Of course one thing with the OT is its stretching so why even be restricted to the tempo of the sample? Just sample it and you choose the tempo, the sample will simply fit.

the same could be said of your response here, or any post in general for that matter…

i find tutorial videos are helpful because you can watch someone doing something on the machine right there, instead of having to imagine it based on someones written description according to how they talk, what they remember, which order they prefer, across which language barrier, etc. etc.

when you can watch someone operate the machine it puts it in much greater direct context, IMO… theres the machine - thats how the machine works, QED

but everyone has their own opinion and way of doing things, i get that… but yeh, i dont find your ideas of being some kind of greater authority justified in any way, sorry

I’m not sure why you chose to reply in such a way, this isn’t gearslutz so why not be a bit more mellow with fellow users? Not sure where I said I was a greater authority, don’t be such a **** eh. I’ll say no more.

I’m sure if the op reads my message he/she will see what I mean and might even appreciate the offer of help in the message that was directed toward them.

1 Like

After you record you sample press function+bank while in recording setup to access a menu where you can save the sample… I believe it asks you if you want to assign to a flex slot, if not find it and load it to one, and load the saved sample to a flex track…

If your sample has beats and/or is a defined tempo, you’ll have to know what that tempo is. The OT will try to guess the tempo which you can find in the audio attributes. Assuming the OT did a good job if you were to now set the sequencer at that tempo, it should play as it originally sounds and the sequencer should match. If the OT did not determine the tempo right you would have to use something else like a computer program to figure it out, enter it into the attributes for the sample, and change the OT bpm to that.
With the OT tempo at the correct sample tempo, the sequencer should be in sync and the sample should play without time stretch. You can still adjust the OT tempo and the sample will be timestretched to still match the sequencer…
If the sample is longer than the pattern length you can adjust the track scale for that track so there is more time before it is re triggered, for example a track scale of 1/2 makes the track play once for every two sequencer pattern cycles. If the sample is really long you can use a one-shot trigger which trigs it one time and will not keep retrigging it on pattern cycle…
Hope this helps, let us know how it goes…

3 Likes

Hey JM Thanks much for the response. I can see you’re still able to be familiar with what its like to start something brand new. I’m a guitar player, not an electronic musician…this is my first sequencer…and from what I’m learning seems like the OT can be a challenge for even some of the more experienced electronic guys out there. So thanks for responding and offering the help. I’m out this weekend but saw your response and wanted to get bk to ya. I will reach out to ya next week.
Thanks again,
-Bill
growingfins@msn.com

2 Likes