Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

It is really a preference, nothing to fuss about.

stiff knobs will normally go away with usage …

The main issue I had is that I don’t run through a mixer, so couldn’t boost the volume there, and with headphones the patches were often hard to hear even with the volume maxed out on the T5. Having the louder patches means I can comfortably play through headphones now, and there is not a major difference in volume with the default T5 patches. I can always lower the gain later if needed, although I’m not finding the louder patches overly driven. Anyway, people can confidently buy the pack and have their choice.

On another note, there are some real gems in this pack. I’m very impressed with what he has accomplished and look forward to learning by studying some of these. He makes great use of the new features, like the lofi effect as well.

Some of them are eerily good. One of my favorites sounds a lot like a police siren off in the distance amid other ambient noise. It reminds me of when I lived in NYC and you would hear sirens at night among the general noise of the city. I tweaked the patch to my liking and renamed it police siren. These patches make for a great jumping off point to put your own spin on things.

2 Likes

the general noise of the city -> that would be great to record for an intro or outro of a song

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a lot of synth for the money. Some of those first impressions are things I didn’t see talked about anywhere else, so figured they might be useful for others with elektron-brain like myself.

Also: if you don’t want to pay $70 for the soundtower editor, there’s a free patch librarian here that does the job: Releases · christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm · GitHub

5 Likes

i haven’t been around even a fraction of the amount of synths (especially vintage analog ones) that jexus has played but he mentions “using the mod matrix in almost every patch to reach that satisfaction level / acceptance threshold” and that “manipulating the front panel knobs is not enough for the dynamic / organic effect that I have in mind”

i personally find that the t5’s raw tone from the front panel alone already pretty much achieves everything i wanted (but could never describe) from a massive vintage-sounding analog polysynth

it sounds really really amazing

at one point i know i’m going have to sell most of my hardware and pretty much just have one analog synth/master keyboard + ableton

the t5 will be that synth

5 Likes

I think you’ve got the right approach. There is a sweet spot between flexibility and a honey pot of sweet spots and we can’t have it all. For some reason, I wish it had mini keys, or maybe I’m just happy that it does actually not, lest I would have the space to go for it.

Just noticed that if you peer through the wheels you can see voice leds somewhere inside the chassis. I wonder how difficult it would be to expose these…

Man, I know exactly what you are talking about. With inflation as bad as it is now, I’ve decided to lay off the gear purchases for a while, but with the update to the T5 I’m not even all that fussed. I’ve been playing it every night lately and just grinning from ear to ear. It’s definitely the retro polysynth of my dreams. For third-party stuff, the Polydata patches (Soundbank ‘79 and his FM one) were my favorites to date, but these Jexus patches are just next level, and have been eye opening about what the synth can sound like.

It’s extremely rare in my experience to come across a piece of gear that you love more over time. I had been stressing whether to get it or save up for a Prophet 6, but am glad I decided the Prophet was out of my budget.

4 Likes

New video. To my ears, he has sort of captured the indie film vibe with many of these patches, versus the old school documentary vibes in his earlier videos. Many of those shown here were among my least favorites in his pack, so it’s good to see them in context and get some ideas.

3 Likes

While using the Take 5, I noticed that the volume output appears to be low when using headphones plugged into the synth, even with the volume knob turned up to max. I’m currently using Sony WH-1000xm3 headphones with noise canceling enabled. I’m curious if anyone else has encountered a similar issue. The volume knob set to 7 is good for normal playing, but it doesn’t reach the loudness I’m accustomed to. Maybe my hearing is starting to decline, causing this perception…

when envelope 2 is in the default setting of controlling only amplitude, make sure the amount is turned up pretty high (if it’s all they way up it might cause some distortion though)

hopefully that helps

The Sony WH-1000xm3 actually presents two different levels of impedance to sources.

• One level is if you have the headphones already turned on before plugging in to source .
  • A different level of impedance is offered if you plug into source then turn on the headphones.

One of those will be lower impedance and will give you a louder sound.

I cannot remember which is the lower impedance setting. Check the manual.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that sometimes when I’m saving a patch, I press write, navigate to a save slot, then press compare to hear what I’m overwriting – and suddenly the patch I’ve created is lost!

Has anyone else run across this? Very annoying.

Yeah that happened to me once, thought I had done something wrong and then realised that it was a glitch. Very annoying to lose a patch right before saving it…

I’m having some trouble dumping patches with this synth. In global settings I have midi syx ON and midi syx cable USB. Have tried with Soundtower, Knobkraft, and Lasermammoth, all the same results - when you request a bank, it starts sending and then stops around 20% of the way through. Also tried using midiox and manually receiving a bank dump - when reading back the dump in a librarian, it also shows that not all 16 programs were received.

Anyone else run into this?

1 Like

Good and bad news.

Bad — Not sure about the dump, but
Good — this set straight the saving error:

” If you haven’t already done so following the OS update, I would recommend resetting the Globals. You can find this option towards the end of the Global menu. After this, you can see if the same behavior occurs with everything disconnected except power and headphones. You might also save a new init patch to memory as a fresh starting point.”

2 Likes

Thanks, have reset globals now.

Fixed my sysex issues by using another computer… very much enjoying the Jexus patches, not cheap but I’ve enjoyed so much of his content over the years that it felt worth it. Some very crazy sound design happening here, a lot to learn!

4 Likes
7 Likes

Shh, don’t tell anyone, I saw it first!

It’s a pretty sweet giveaway.

1 Like

$150 off till 12/31:

Sequential’s compact 5-voice analog synthesizer is now even more affordable. Take advantage of this limited time discount on Take 5 through the 31st of December, 2023. (US only.)

4 Likes