Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

IMO you might be better off with UAFX Golden Reverberator or Strymon Volante / Boss RE-202. There are also UAFX Starlight and Galaxy, however, they are not as tweakable than the other two.

1 Like

The Golden is indeed golden IMO.

I actually have the Volante and a Flint (since release for both), but I use those on my guitar setup, and switching over is a bit of a pain. I was really interested in the RE-202 (sometimes they pop up used), but the reviews aren’t that great.

I’m not going to buy anything right away, but IMO sometimes ultra tweakable has its advantages and sometimes simplicity can be good (if it sounds good, which is the most important thing, IMO). I’m not into those big shimmering ambient sounds they were showing from the app in that video, but the core stuff sounded quite nice to me.

One thing that is making me think twice though is that the guitar videos for the Del Verb don’t sound that great to me. Ideally it would be nice to have something that could pull double duty.

The other thing I don’t like about the UAD effects is that they require a large power draw. I can’t power them off of my main guitar power supply as they have horrible noise. I can power them from my Strymon power supply though, but it’s a matter of breaking that out every time I want to use my UAD Dream or Woodrow. If I were going to use that Del Verb with my Take 5, I would almost certainly park it by itself next to the T5 and use a power adapter.

Golden is pretty straightforward but with a lot of sweet spots. This video demonstrates it nicely, with synth sounds: https://youtu.be/NzBW3btKi18

3 Likes

Here is the sounds only video if you aren’t into Chatty McTalkerson:

2 Likes

I have a few days off and finally got around to updating. The new presets are fun. A few in there that will be absolute staples and many other cool ones as well. My first impression is that a lot of them feel like vintage horror or sci-fi sounds.

I’m also super stoked by the extra user preset slots which I desperately needed and the new lofi effect is great IMO.

1 Like

i’ve been spending a week or two struggling with my dt /dn combo and decided to take a break to the other side of the room where the t5 was

just laughing maniacally to myself at how amazing even the simplest patches on this thing sound

i’m still kind of hoping for a firmware update that would display the numerical values of parameters on the screen if only for the sake of reverse-engineering some of the factory presets

3 Likes
8 Likes

Yeah that’s probably my biggest problem with the t5. So hard to learn what others did to make the factory patches, which I feel is the best way to learn a particular synth. But learning the prophet 12 helped me a lot

1 Like

While it costs money, the paid editor shows every parameter on screen, so it might be worth it to someone as a learning/sound design tool.

https://www.soundtower.com/take5/

2 Likes

These are cool. Thanks for posting. I’ve been really hoping the guy that does the cool Boards of Canada-like sounds for the MicroKorg and stuff would do a pack for the T5, but there is some great stuff in here along those lines. I’ll probably grab it and use it as an excuse to also tidy up the patches in my user banks. With the update and some patch maintenance, the T5 will feel like a new synth.

Edit: I just listened to all those patches with my morning coffee. Some great stuff and I bet they sound ridiculously good with external effects.

I feel like I’m still growing into my T5. I’m still :100: % happy with my T5 and Grandmother combo for the style of music I like. I think those two really compliment one another.

6 Likes

If it works like their Trigon 6 editor, it will work as a read-only librarian in demo mode.

1 Like

Nice! I already own it, and dig it for patch maintenance, but sounds like other people could get some good use out of it for studying patches.

Picking up one of these at the weekend, excited! What’s the procedure for naming user patches, can you do it from the synth?

1 Like

Yeah, you just hit Write, choose the location to save, and twist the knobs underneath it to change the letters.

1 Like

More. Lots of great sounds in here. Listening to these sounds makes me fall in love with T5 all over again. The tones invoke so much nostalgia.

6 Likes

Well I did not need to read his write up…

It’s always a fight against GAS when it comes to the Take 5.
Especially since getting a real piano I’ve gotten significantly better at playing keys.

4 Likes

Psssst.

Do it…

Dooooooooo iiiiiiiiittttttttt………

4 Likes

Yeah this writeup and his patches made me consider making an offer on one locally listed for 1150€… that’s like launch price!!

I really just wish it had something closer to the prophet 6 design. The pro3 design really doesn’t do it for me… the 6s have this classic “design piece” look I love :upside_down_face:

1 Like

that is a strange gripe he has with “having” to use the mod matrix to get a sound he wants. i’d argue that a pure saw through the filter sounds better than 95% of synths on the market, but having the ability to go p12 level deep in this thing with full vcos, exp/lin fm, and that incredible filter is mind blowing.

what do you want? (not you, jexus) a knob for every single mod source in the matrix, or less sound design options? maybe this type of user attitude is the reason manufacturers rarely take creative risks. i was wondering why we keep getting more of the same every year

i agree with him that the textures you can make with this thing are impossible to get elsewhere. and they are amazing. but i would strongly disagree that the rev 2’s modulation is deeper. thats crazy talk. osc2 as mod source, voice spread mod source, dc offset, filter out, audio out, the new thing they added in the latest fw since i sold mine. plus modulating mod slots (i forget if you can do that with rev2), but this is prophet 12 style depth with 2 less “operators” and much better quality components. the morphing sine wave alone adds so much versatility, esp with linear fm. filter fm rather than the useless “audio mod” of the rev2. audio rate lfos, master overdrve, filter drive, much better fx. i dont see why people compare it to the rev2. the only thing the rev2 has over the t5 is voice count and lfo amount. and i dont see anyone comparing the rev2 to the prophet 5, so that doesnt make sense to me

6 Likes