Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

I personally think it’s too big and heavy for that.

1 Like

I’m swaying back towards T5 over Matriarch. I have half a mind on my duet stuff with my wife and the ability to save patches might just swing it. Plus saving a grand will be kinda nice.

5 Likes

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed…if you get both.

3 Likes

Any synth is a lap synth if you try hard enough.

1 Like

One day maybe. They do sound completely different in a good and complimentary way.

2 Likes

Yeah, they are both nice. If you need presets, then the T5 is the way to go. And the UI and mod matrix really make it a deep and fun synth. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

3 Likes

3:30-ish really makes me regret selling this thing. what an idiot i am

1 Like

It‘s amazing there aren’t any used Take 5s around. Do you think this is because not many people bought it? Or those who have like it and hang on to it? Or both …

I got a good deal on the Rev2 half a year ago and really love the basic sound of it. It also brings you to program patches since everything is laid out in front of you. That being said, I use it to rarely since it is just a bit too big, which can be intimidating. Plus I really don’t like the open filter, so I stay away from those sweet filter sweeps, which is a dumb thing to do on an Analog synth. So I would be willing to trade it for a Take 5, but without used ones on the market, it seems like a questionable move.

2 Likes

Im going to list mine. Mainly because I just bought an AR mkii and I need to offset the cost. I also am not a synth guy - more of a sampler/drum machine type. that said, the Take 5 sounds fantastic and is easy to program. I have sampled the hell out of mine for the year or so that I have owned it. Have a library of sounds now.

2 Likes

I’m as clueless and surprised about it as you are. I’ve kept an eye out even though I can’t buy it til September earliest and there’s been nothing in the UK afaik. But maybe it’s an encouraging sign that people do love them. Hell, I’m going all in on it and might buy it new.

3 Likes

I think because it is still somewhat new, and compared to back when the 08’, or even Rev2 came out, there is a lot more competition these days. Also, while the 08’ was somewhat popular when it launched, even back then some people were griping because it didn’t sound like a P5. But over time, you saw it more and more in studios and on stage. I think if people can finally get over doing these T5 vs. P5 videos, and and just enjoy the T5 for what it is, which is a great machine that stands on its own, then more people will see the light.

And keep in mind that the 08/Rev2 has about 12 years on the T5, which is less than a year old. I think 12 years from now, you will see a lot more used T5’s.

3 Likes

the Take 5

the Prophet 5

This! And let’s not forget that Thom Yorke has used it loads, especially on stage/tour :yum:

I get the impression (having never owned one) that Sequentials are ruggedly built and retain their value very well compared to other brands.

1 Like

Ha! All that dude has to do is fart on a synth, the demand skyrockets!

4 Likes

Yes, siree, and I could see him using a T5. He likes quite simple sounds and could probably create emotion out of a bucket if push came to shove.

2 Likes

For sure, with him it is definitely a case of how you play something, rather than what you are playing. He could bust out “Everything In Its Right Place” on a jaw harp, and somehow beautiful melancholy would fill the air.

1 Like

i wonder if people bought them new but ended up returning rather than selling later. feels like maybe the two camps are probably

• kept it
  • returned it

maybe some deals will turn up via the usual big vendors.

1 Like

Yeah I guess you guys pretty much explained why there aren’t that many around.

I guess I will just keep an eye on the aftermarket and get to know my Rev2 better till then. I really already have way more gear than I need, but at this point I would just enjoy having a knobby analog with rather small footprint that is all sweet spots and sounds good without much effort. To me it sounds like the Take 5 is just that. And I already love the Sequential sound of the Rev2, minus the filter.

Would love it if Elektron decided to do a simple analog that is less sound design oriented than AF. Pretty much something like the Jupiter XM with a better interface and less voices plus Elektron sequencer would be a dream synth for me.

4 Likes

I’m telling you, if you are willing to wait 12 years, there will be a bunch of used T5’s out there. Especially after about 8 years, when Thom Yorke plays one like a keytar during the Kid A 30th anniversary tour.

5 Likes

Oh, one question came up: the display still doesn’t show values when tweaking knobs? I‘ve gotten so used to looking at displays on Elektron hear that I find this idea quite unsettling. Rev2 also displays values. But maybe it‘s also nice to be forced to look less at the display?