Sequential Take 5 five voice poly

it doesn’t even look like the sound tower editor shows wave forms. does anyone in here have the editor to confirm?

1 Like

It doesn’t show values on the main display when tweaking, you’re correct. Only a dot on the patch number displays when you turn a knob to the saved position for the patch. The synth also shows no graphics when tweaking envelopes or LFOs or whatever. It’s a very tweak-by-ear synth, and this is one of my only real complaints about it. .

1 Like

I guess the smaller screen is one of the things that keeps costs down. Personally it makes no difference to me; it displays the important stuff like modulation depth and routings etc. Beyond that it’s just gravy IMO. It really shouldn’t be a deal breaker when weighing up that against the lush sounds that just fall out of it.

5 Likes

Who needs values or graphics when the Synth is a whole sweet spot? :joy:

7 Likes

Already posted in current sounds…, but I leave it here for demo purposes :upside_down_face:
Quick song with T5 as only sound source.

14 Likes

My Take 5 just died. I plugged in a USB cable for USB midi to my mac, suddenly the screen turned to noise. Since then, it doesn’t boot anymore.
It’s stuck on the initial logo.

I’m afraid that I have to send it to Sequential (already contacted support), since I am second buyer and don’t have warranty. I have to say, it’s pretty amazing that a USB cable can completely freeze a 1500 euro synth…

Oh man. So sorry to hear this.

Support are really good so hopefully they’ll get you going again. They gave me loads of info and help with a p5 (though it turned out to be a strange midi loop issue).

thanks.
Might be something in the same direction.
It‘s really disappointing. I plugged a USB cable in a USB socket. How much can go wrong?
Sending it back would be a hassle. Hardware often is such a hassle :see_no_evil:

Have you (PDF manual page 74)
Resetting the Global Parameters?

1 Like

I am not able to reach the global parameters I think. The synth is stuck at the loading screen.
I tried to access bootloader mode but it doesn’t do anything

1 Like

Sorry, yes, just read this on Gearspace. Seems the Pro3 had the same issues but I’ve not found the info yet

Post 1363

1 Like

Thanks for researching.
I have found some reports for similar issues on Prophet X, Pro 3 and Take 5.
No solution yet. I‘ll wait for the support to answer…
Looks like a recurring thing though

1 Like

Mine had problems with the USB port. Sequential sent me the part (complete board) out in an exchange deal. No issues since. I could have sent in the synth but I was happy to swap the board myself. It took minutes.

4 Likes

I had this happen with my Pro 3. The happy end to the story was I’d bought a demo from Sweetwater and they swapped it with a brand new unit!

1 Like

That’s what happens in my case too. I hope I will do nothing wrong when swapping the boards, but the instructions look rather simple

4 Likes

How are you T5 owners accomplishing AM on this synth? I haven’t done a deep dive on osc levels yet, but it seems like maybe modulation on the mixer levels for the oscillators doesn’t provide the same results as a typical vca amplitude modulation. i could be totally wrong though

I finally got another Take-5 after a few months without one and im so glad i did. I don’t know what i was thinking (must have been the overwhelming [warranted] Syntakt hype), but i love this thing more than any other synth. it’s crazy to me how good it is

anyway, i suggest that anyone with a take-5 who wants to get a better understanding of how to patch the synth tries out the prophet 12. I got the desktop version between take-5’s and it taught me so much about how these prophet synths work. specifically the fm, am, and just modulation in general. it really helps to visualize the signal path and get a better understanding of why all of the parameters are hardwired in the p12 abd how you can apply those same functions to this synth

linear vs exponential fm is much more clear. i learned that stacking modulation sources in the matrix can push any mod source way past the max 127 value depth. I really like setting a rev saw Lfo1 to max frequency and then creating something like 3 mod slots of lfo1 to osc2 octv, all set to 127 depth for ultra fast audio rate modulation. i like getting real meticulous with my osc2 linear fm in the matrix without using the osc2 volume knob on the panel for more musical undulations and timbral shifts. experimenting with different mod sources and destinations is extremely rewarding with this synth, lots of unexpected pleasant surprises. but it opens up a whole new limitless universe when you start stacking modulation slots . my only complaint now (aside from the lack of a 3rd looping envelopes, 3rd Osc, 2nd SVF, and AM/VCA modulation options) is that we dont have even more mod slots. but that would be getting a little out of hand.

even experimenting with certain fx parameters and envelope stages set to be modulated by audio rate lfos at varying stacked values gets really interesting with the ability to stay within the bounds of in-tune musical tones

*also just found this. damn good sound design work here:

8 Likes

Got my replacement mainboard today. Take 5 back alive.
The whole process took over a month.
I won’t plug another usb cable into this thing, that’s for sure.

13 Likes

That’s so strange. I have had two now (both bought new, first one was one of the first released), and had no issues except for a little noise on the outputs of the first one. But that might have been my own fault, not gain staging properly, I’m not sure

I use the usb all the time. Not for midi, but to backup my patches to f0f7 lazer mammoth and audition/load them back in if I need to

I also have a pc though, so I don’t know if that matters

Glad you got yours back. I liked what you were doing with it in the “current sounds” thread

1 Like

I found a few other people in forums who had the same issue. Seems it might be caused by a midi loopback, however I have no clue where the midi loopback was coming from and how a midi loop can freeze the whole synth…

Some people have also reported output noise, I have it when I plug it into maschine inputs. Seems it is sensible to ground loops, I don’t know. It is quiet when plugged into DN or OT

yeah the one i have now is pretty quiet. i was very happy with this one.

i guess it might be because i dont use midi over usb, but i wouldnt say its unsafe to plug a usb cable into it in general. i would be paranoid about it if i were you too though. but i do it a lot for patch backup & import/export. i do have a lot of weird midi loops in my system since i run my lpp mk3 into the octa then into the digitone which routes its own seq midi into a Quadra Thru and then in and thru a few other units, some of which feed bck into the launchpad pro’s midi input and come out a 2nd out 2/thru port BUT that launchpad also gets merged with a midi solutions merger with a second mk2 lpp and any other midi i decide to send via the norns usb to din outs or another elektron/squid/whatever else i have at the moment for sequencing. And i have before merged the launchpad (thru via Octa/Digitone/Syntakt/digitakt midi out) with the keyboard midi out of the Take 5, which goes back through the elektron seq (for recording t5 keyboard midi) and then the launchpad so i can switch between thru and out. so i would think my take-5’s have encountered midi loops. but never usb midi. im not very cautious with these sorts of midi loop feedback issues

so im not being contentious. just wondering if its strictly a midi over usb issue or maybe a strictly mac issue? i wonder if the people who experienced the same usb thing were mac users