Sequential resumes Prophet-5

Thanks :blush: also, now back in boxes. But its time will return.

1 Like

You: mom can we get a prophet?

Uli: we have prophet at musictribe.

Prophet at musictribe…

2 Likes

If they crack this one we can all go home. :slight_smile:

1 Like

this one could either make’em or break’em I don’t even know how I feel about it yet :smile:

1 Like

Can we move this filth out of the real P5 thread, into its own thread, so I can silence it and move on?

I’d like to continue enjoying this conversation…

Cheers!

13 Likes

It’s related to the topic, but it’s not strictly the topic, so ensure the detailed Pro chat takes place elsewhere. But every topic about e.g. TD-3 has discussions around TB-303 or other versions, it’s natural and reasonable. Many people interested in the Prophet 5 architecture may have zero hopes of scoring an original or a Sequential reimagining, so a behringer reimagining is perhaps for those people. The pejorative terms don’t help the discourse, it’s that approach to this larger matter which inevitably takes these discussions south. So please keep it civil. WRT On-Topic : By this standard (a relevant option/tangent) the forum would not moderate-able, the introduction of the option is a tie-in with a previous part of the thread. We have to let the forum ebb and flow, just a bit though to keep it on track. The key thing here is that the presentation of the ‘option’ was in good faith. The main way this will go off-topic is all this meta chat.

Best to steer the Pro 16 chat towards here though until it’s real; but alluding to it here, in passing, is natural and reasonable enough with hundreds of precedents. The politics of it are another matter strictly for their own threads

8 Likes

Yeah, i don’t give a toot if Uli is doing focus research about something he might release in three years and speculative teasers don’t belong in threads about real products.

[Not to you. but…] Please, save the marketing campaigns for B threads.

5 Likes

didn’t realize it was posted elsewhere, thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks for that! That’s really important to many people like me. May B keep making more of that “filth”.

If you could choose between an OB6 and a prophet 5 which one would you get?

OB6 all day, every day for me, but neither can do what the other one does.

Where does the P6 sit in this descision? Comparing that and the OB6 is probably more direct.

Unpopular opinion: I don’t really get the appeal of the P5 beyond the nostalgia factor. I even find the OB6/P6 fairly limiting at times, but they sound good enough to compensate, whereas I just don’t hear enough improvement in sound on the P5 beyond them to warrant the additional cost and reduction in features.
I know it’s not all about specs and features, but given comparison videos like J3PO’s (and others), I struggle to believe there is enough discernable sound difference between the P5 and P6 to compare them on anything except specs.

4 Likes

Thanks for your view, I’m leaning towards the ob6 so far if I do decide to get a dave smith synth

1 Like

I first had a P6, then traded that for an OB6, so my views on the two are:

• P6 is far ‘cleaner’ and more ‘precise’ overall. The OB6 is just generally more midrangey and angrier sounding (but doesn’t have to be!). A lot of that will be the square wave sub osc and 2 pole filter on the OB6 just leaving more harmonics in the sound, as well as the oscilators themselves being a lot hotter going into the filter (people often recommend to run them at 2/3 level or less to clean it up).
  • At the time I felt that the OB6 had more modulation possibilities, but now I’m not so sure, the two filters on the P6 can probably be used to do a lot more than I did at the time.
  • The OB6 has that filter though. Modulating LPF->notch->HPF and BPF all at the same time in weird ways gets some awesome sounds.
  • Purely visually, the P6 has a nice wood bar under the keybed, whereas the OB6 has a metal bar, but the OB6 has pinstripes! :wink:

I do miss the P6 sometimes when I want to do more normal/cleaner things, but there was no way I could afford to keep both, so I’ve just learned to cover that ground as much as I can in cheaper ways.

3 Likes

Main issue with those kind of videos is that no one plays or uses an instrument like that. You play them in bands, you multi-track them, you sample and mangle them, you write music with them. That’s when the difference starts to count.

I got a P5 and used to have a P6 and incidentally, use an AS-1 right now. The difference is real and it matters, but not in the context where these vids exist.

3 Likes

I think if the sound of the OB6 filter is not absolutely calling your name, I’d go for a P5 (or P6). Both - or all three - are fantastic instruments.

I had the OB6 for about a year but my own inexperience and inability to fit it into my songs made me sell it. Totally depends on the context and what you’re looking for but for my ”needs” I find the Prophets more versatile. I still absolutely love the OB-6 sound but like I said, just didn’t fit in what I was doing at the time.

After selling the OB-6 I’ve been fairly happy with the u-he Repro VST but I think a Prophet is in the cards for me at some point.

1 Like

I have both. I’d keep the P5 if I had to let one of the two go. it’s just so much easier to get a great sound out of it, for me. I have this same experience with the Korg Polysix or the Juno 106. it’s just all sweet spot, basically. you come up with an interesting patch idea and it’s almost done before you start, and sounding terrific. the OB6 isn’t like this for me. it has a large sweet spot and I think what it does well it does really well. but for me that’s more mid-range melodies (due to the filter) and less textures or leads.

I think this could totally differ from person to person though. they’re pretty different synths in that one of their main sound shaping tools (the filter) is totally different. as @tomfs said, the P6 is probably a better comparison. and on paper, a better buy as well. I can’t comment on whether or not it would have the same effect on me as the P5 as I’ve never played one. I’m guessing it wouldn’t be 100% the same though. I think the P5 just has that right balance of simplicity, excellent sound, and perfect range for all the controls, that it’s really hard to make it sound bad.

1 Like

Also the P5 has a 5-octave keyboard which for some people are important (if you are not going for the module, that is)

P5 vs OB6 eh?

I was fortunate enough be able to go to a shop that had P5, OB6, P6, Moog One, and I forgot what other analog poly… all in the same room.

My choice would be P5. That’s the one that kept calling me back, in that room of analog polys.

None of those analog polys sound terrible, by any means - Jexus’ harsh comments on the OB6 notwithstanding. :smiley: They all sound great.

It’s just that the P5’s sound had an extra something else. It’s not “warmth” - they’re all freaking “warm” as analogs. Some extra secret sauce in the sound. Hard core sound designer types find it limited - not much modulation options and stuff compared to, say Pro 3. To me, that doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

I went for the p5 instead of the ob6 in the end simply because of availability because ob6 is not available…
But I’m thinking it may have been luck to force me to get the pt5…
First impressions are it does sound beefy, and love the simplicity of it

9 Likes

Sequential now has 5 voice expansion card for the P5, to essentially turn it into a P10. And they have added bi-timbral, stack and split capability with the new OS.

Sequential has announced two major enhancements for the Prophet-5 and Prophet-10 Rev 4 synthesizers. The first is an easy-to-install voice expansion card for the Prophet-5 that expands its polyphony to 10 voices, enabling it to benefit from the second enhancement — a new OS that adds bi-timbral, stack and split capability to 10-voice Prophet-5 and Prophet-10 synths.

With a ten-voice instrument and the new 2.0 OS, players can stack two different programs together for more powerful, complex sounds. Each program is allocated 5 voices of polyphony, allowing 5-note bi-timbral operation. Alternatively, players can split the keyboard into two separate performance zones, each with a different program. This allows for bi-timbral performance of bass and leads, or bass and pads, for example.

To use the new stack/split feature, Prophet-10/expanded Prophet-5 owners will need to upgrade to version 2.0 of the operating system. The OS upgrade is provided free of charge to Prophet owners and is available on Sequential’s website. The Prophet-5 voice expansion card is available directly from Sequential and includes instructions for installation.

“We’re excited to bring stack and split capability to 10-voice Prophets,” said Sequential founder Dave Smith. “It gives even more musical versatility to an already awesome-sounding instrument. Musicians are going to love the sound design possibilities of bi-timbral stacks. And players will be able to make good use of splits in live performance.”

Sequential’s CEO, David Gibbons had this to say about the enhancements: “There’s nothing more satisfying than making a legendary instrument even better than its original incarnation. Turning the Prophet-10 or an expanded Prophet-5 into a bi-timbral synth takes it to new places as an expressive instrument. That’s always been Sequential’s first priority: Putting great-sounding, expressive musical tools into the hands of musicians.”

The Prophet-5 and Prophet-10 Rev 4 reintroduced the music world to Sequential’s most famous and beloved instrument: the Prophet-5. The instruments revisit a landmark era in American analog synthesizer design and are an authentic and authoritative return to roots for the company.

Faithful to the original, the instruments feature five voices with two multi-waveform analog oscillators, resonant analog low-pass filters and amplifiers, and a filter and amplifier envelope per voice. Modulation is provided by a multi-waveshape LFO and Poly Mod, a ground-breaking modulation scheme for its time that allowed the filter envelope and oscillator B to be routed to a variety of destinations including filter cutoff frequency, oscillator A frequency, and oscillator A pulse width.

The Prophet-5 voice expansion card has a US MAP of $899 and is available directly from Sequential. It is compatible with both keyboard and desktop models of the Prophet-5.

5 Likes