Sequential Pro 3

seems cheaper than Pro 2 in Aus

Slap another 10% on that US price.
But there’s no reason it shouldn’t be cheaper, considering how they plugged the Rev2 was cheaper to make than ever before, so if same technology/techniques are applied to the Pro~3 hopefully it’ll be less than the 2.

And I was going to give notice when my leave was over. Might have to hang on to my shitty job a bit longer.

2 Likes

Sweetwater will work the price for you, take off 150ish (I just did it)

1 Like

Hang on for one more pay period :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have the source but in an interview with Mr Smith even he said he didn’t like the DSI logo, he just whipped it up when he was getting going again because he didn’t know if he would be successful.

2 Likes

The more I look at it the more it grows on me. Spec wise is a go but those knobs are jarring… I love the engraved ‘Sequential’ end cheeks but that walnut case against the red and grey…it’s hooking me in…

If it works like the Pro 2 everything on the sequencer is relative/offsets (no locks) and each channel can be set up with different slew rates if you want the parameters to glide, Notes have slew perstep. Using all the tools available you can make a drum and bass type thing happen on one patch but it isn’t as wide open as the elektron stuff. Because it is relative it makes for some really interesting results when tweaking parameters, sometimes quite unexpected. All layers of the sequencer are mutable also and can be assigned to effect the amount that other sequencer layers effect something. You can set up multiple destinations from one track with the mod matrix with different amounts + or - …You can build some really complex stuff that really interacts with itself in cool ways, but at the end of the day I rarely use it on it own, in conjunction with getting transposed by an elektron sequencer you can do some really awesome stuff with it. Pro 3 seems to be adding ratcheting and 64 steps (pro2 was max 32) more exposed controls on the sequencer also… probably some other features we will see with more demos. It certainly seems pretty awesome. But yeah it is probably best to think of it as a cool but kinda quirky Eurorack sequencer that just happens to be integrated into a synth, it isn’t going to let you get into new patches or that sort of thing. I could be wrong but it certainly seems that it will be similar to the Pro 2 sequencer.

5 Likes

Just listened to Inhalt demo, sounds pretty samey, not a lot of versatility shown from that demo anyway. Ballsy yes, gritty yes but I did’nt hear any evidence of wavetable stuff.

2 Likes

There’s still a digital oscillator! Just not 4.

boring.

Holy sweet synth Jesus :heart_eyes:

1 Like

compared with a pro 2 this looks a bit like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. First sound impression ( vid on gearnews) was okay, but nothing too fancy.

Ill standby and watch :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Seems to me that DSI took a long hard look at the Moog Sub 37 and asked themselves “how can we take this to the next level?”.

Wonder if they have any intentions on making a desktop version. Cuz that’s the one I’ll get.
I can’t play anything in key so why even bother.
Plus, isn’t a desktop version always cheaper? (rhetorical question)

3 Likes

If my memory is correct, DSI/Sequential has released desktop versions of all their synths except for the Pro 2. So chances are, a desktop version will follow eventually.

(In many cases the desktop module came first)

2 Likes

Pro 2 and Prophet X… I did ask them if there was a possibilty for a Prophet X desktop unit and the answer was sadly a pretty firm no. I hope for a desktop of the Pro 3 though would be easier to fit in my studio and I wouldn’t mind mostly playing it via the sequencer, maybe they felt with the prophet 12 desktop that they didn’t need to do a Pro2 one or maybe they though it was too hard to have the sequencer along with all the ins and outs and reasonable synth controls on a desktop sized box.

3 Likes

isn´t this the same price point as the Pro 2? 1 year ago I could buy one new for 1.600 in my local synth shop … but I went with the Prophet 6 Desktop because it has 2 filters and ofcourse 6 full voices.

I really like the idea of having 2 filters at once … going to hi pass and then low pass can really shape the sound, especially with the sound Quality of the P6 filters (with no bass drop) … you can turn up the resonance and it sounds like you are mixing in sinewave on top of the 2 oscillators.

So the big “+” on the Pro 2 are definitly the 2 filters and the 4 digi oscillators. If I had to choose between a Pro 3 with 2 analog osc + 1 digi + 1 filter …. and a Prophet 6 with 6 Voices of 2 analog osc + noise + Sub + 2 fx channels … it would make so much more sense to pay the 200 or 300 eur more. I think for that what it offers, the Pro 3 is way to expensive. The Pro 3 wooden panels version is the same price like Prophet 6 desktop.

2 Likes

this synth is begging for Jexus to demo it.

5 Likes

XD made my day. Love your humor!

2 Likes

It’s also begging for geosynths to write patches for it too.