Me so horny

5 Likes

And sex appeal - holy moly that SE is gorgeous :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

My Moog Voyager will be jealous

4 Likes

Paraphonic.

1 Like

sexy mf!! damn! let’s see after the first reviews (y)

1 Like

Dang Tempest knobs I’m out lol :wink:
Only kidding might have to unload my ob-6 & sub37 for this.

2 Likes

Whats the difference between Paraphonic and Polyphonic? Is there a difference in a 3 note chord between the two ?

In simplified terms, Paraphonic means that the Voices share the same Filter, Envelopes, …

3 Likes

There was a thread around here recently discussing the idea that Paraphonic is actually polyphonic, or something like that, but the general structure is generally different between the two types. On a synth like the Pro 3, the 3 oscillators would each be able to play a note, but all through the same filter. Whereas, on a traditional Poly synth like the Prophet 6, each note is it’s own voice card, each with its own oscillators, filters, etc.

There is going to be a difference in sound, but the idea that one is better than the other is subjective. Personally, I generally look at modern paraphonic synths, as mono synths with a little something extra. Unique sounds can be made with them. Old string synths were often paraphonic.

4 Likes

If it is like the Pro 2 you can use each lane to sequence multiple parameters in different positive/negative ratios you can also use it to send midi note or CC sequences to other devices or CV note or VC to other devices. It’s a really neat sequencer not as straightforward as an elektron sequencer though.

2 Likes

Cheers. Will it be able to create lush pads? Or will the pads be a bit more narrow(cant think of a better term) in depth ?

1 Like

With three notes only I’m a say it’s not going to be very lush. Also something to remember with pro2,3 or monopoly is that, you’re using each oscillator as a voice rather than on a traditional poly synth where you have x number of copies of the entire synth. So if you set 1 square 2 saw and 3 to some wave table. Your Chord is going to be one note square one note saw and one note in the wavetable. This is cool and I love my pro2 for it but it’s not like a “polyphonic” synth.

2 Likes

I can’t say for sure, because the Pro 3 is only 3 note paraphony, and there is two VCO’s and one wavetable oscillator, so I am not sure how that will sound. Every 3rd note would be a wavetable sound instead of the VCO? Could be used for interesting results, but I am not sure about lush pads.

Hope I can get my hands on a SE version at some point… I still think the Pro 2 seems more feature rich but I love it so much it’s hard not to want Pro 3 also. Pro 3 seems like it will please the masses better than the Pro 2 with the VCOs also but 4 voice paraphonic of super waves on the Pro 2 through the SEM filter is seriously something special. Looks like they kept Pro 2 relevant but Pro 3 should be its own awesome new thing… also its hitting a better price point with it minus a few of the extras found on the pro 2.

4 Likes

easiest way to think about paraphonic vs polyphonic:

lets say you have a paraphonic and a polyphonic synth, each with a simple envelope on the filter to open it on key press.

now press one key and the oscillator sounds, filter opens, amp triggers, you hear sound. now hold that key and press another…

• poly: the oscillator sounds, filter opens, amp triggers. release one key and press another, same deal. add another key, same deal (until you hit voice limit).
  • para: you hear the other oscillator added, filter doesn’t re-open, amp doesn’t re-trigger, it’s just another note added. release one key and press another, same deal. release both, you’re back to zero.

the main interesting bit gets to be that in the paraphonic synth, the oscillator you’re adding has its own dedicated controls, and can be vastly different. in the polyphonic, it’s the same settings.

7 Likes

Cheers for the replies to my question on Paraphonic synths. I see its a 3 note paraphonic synth, whilst the Moog Matriarch is a 4 note one. Thats a pity as it would enable a chord and a melody to be done. Unless theres a workaround?

2 Likes

Not sure about the case on the Pro 3 but on the Pro 2 you still has an amp per oscillator so only a shared filter.

Hopefully it will have different effects to the P6. Not that they’re bad, but could be better and more varied.

1 Like

I see there is an audio input on the back. Being able to run external audio through a Prophet 6 filter, OB-6 filter, or ladder filter would be a big plus. Also cool is that the ladder filter has “optional resonance compensation to preserve its low-end punch”. So it looks like the bass won’t thin out when the resonance is turned up.

1 Like