Sequencing ext gear

thinking of getting the o.t been putting it off …how easy and competent is it for sequencing ext gear …i have a king korg i would like sequence baseline from…my idea is a4 a r daisy chaired to o.t …o.t sequencing korg?

it’s a great sequencer for external gear. having your 8 internal tracks and 8 midi tracks in the same place is class.
easy to set up and you can use the trig buttons as a keyboard.
the only real drawback is although each midi track has 3 note polyphony you cant record chords live, you have to go into the midi screen and adjust note 2 and 3 pitch manually with the encoders.

1 Like

OT is my only midi sequencer, I run 4 Nords and a Modular from it with a Kenton splitter.
Fantastic box, the arp is great too, especially when you set the lfo to randomise speed, oct and type and don’t forget the microtiming and different channel lengths!
Also you still have the Audio side for mixing or sampling or molesting captured sounds…

3 Likes

the Arp combined with the midi lfo’s is one of the best OT features in my opinion.
Generally, sequencing midi gear with the OT is powerful and straightforward.

2 Likes

‘molesting’ captured sounds
what does that sound like?
:wink:

It’s great. But if you’re getting it just for the sequencer, there are even greater options. The Pyramid, the Novation Circuit (well, it might, depending on your preference) and the upcoming MPC Live are all solid options.

But the Octa’s combo of midi sequencing and sampler, and I’m gonna throw in a slash here and say production unit for complete tracks if you wanna go that far, and THEN bring it to stage - yep, you’re gonna have to look hard to find a better option. And if you like that combo of features, the funk that is the Octatrack, you’re never gonna find it.

The MPC Live is a strong contender, but it’s very different, more like sequencing as Grandpa used to make it, updated by his grand children.

3 Likes

thanks guys you answered all my questions …this is a great forum…

"THE FUNK THAT IS THE OCTARACK "…lol nice you,ve sold me on it there…good man

2 Likes

DT is gonna have a better midi sequencer that OT (trig conditions).
straightforward too.

2 Likes

true …but digitakt doesn’t appeal to me…i have A.R for drum machine and one shot digital samples ,i,am thinking o.t as sequencer because over bridge is not reliable,i was thinking about A.R. A.4. over bridge sync to ableton and then my king kong synth midi sync to abletons clock …but cause O.B is not reliable i,am thinking in terms of a hardware sequencer …and besides that I’ve wanted the O.T for over a year but have been to scared to go for it and am only just now getting my head around the reality of it

1 Like

I’m not sure about that… 3 midi lfo’s per track (customizable) in the octa. That’s where a lot of fun happens. Probability trigs are lacking unfortunately, but there are options to achieve similar results in the OT

2 Likes

@Unifono good point

Good thinking.

There is one point to be considered … the sequencer of the OT is a step-sequencer. If this is, what you want, perfect, go for it. But if you need a linear-sequencer, you should check out alternatives.

1 Like

You really mean that “linear-sequencing” is old-school? C’mon :wink:

That’s true. As well as the problem playing chords, that was already mentioned. Also, if you need options like alternative playback directions, euclidean rhythms or stuff like that you also could consider something like the pyramid.
Although, different playback directions can be achieved with the Arp-step-sequencer and again manipulated with the midi lfo’s. You can also set the Arp to specific scales… Pretty flexible.

1 Like

Unfortunately the conditional p-locks of the AR and A4 didn’t make it to the OT :sob:

1 Like

yes, that’s a shame…

That’s what grandpa said :blush:

1 Like

Then let’s keep up with a good old tradition … long live grandpa’s sequencing :sunglasses:

2 Likes