Sequencing Ableton synths with Digitakt

Hey all,

Recently had to let go of my hardware synths for extra cash, but luckily I was able to hold on to my Digitakt and Keystep. I figure I’ll sequence synth plugins (Diva and “The Legend”) the same as I did with hardware. I haven’t actually set this up yet, but happy to RTM to figure it out.

I guess I’m just curious what’s other people’s workflows are in regards to controlling Ableton using Digitakt, especially after the recent release of Overbridge. Any insights or tips beyond basic sequencing are totally appreciated.

2 Likes

Is Overbridge really relevant in regard to sequencing? I don’t own a Digitakt, but i’m sequencing softsynths and VCV sometimes with my Octatrack without Overbridge, it’s just (USB)MIDI.

usb midi is everything

Using Ableton as a hub for VST instruments is ok to control with the DT. I wouldnt send clock or have Ableton as slave though. From my experience Ableton is not that good as a slave but is great as a master for the DT.

If you just wanted to host VST’s in ableton then its fine, just set up the channels to each of the DT midi tracks.

usb alone will be fine

1 Like

Watch out for timing problems. I use External Instrument Ableton Plugin as you can trim the hardware delay away very nicely on my devices. With Midi directly, the timing is off far more often off by 20ms

I’m with @spktkpkt here. Overbridge is not really a part of the equation.

USB or DIN midi. Both work fine. The Digitakt is an excellent midi sequencer for either hard- or software synths. Benefits of USB - no midi interface needed.

I’d say that timing is not a MIDI issue - apart from the protocol limitations itself. Get your audio latency down by proper settings of your interface.

When/if recording, I don’t even often bother with midi clock sync in either direction. Set the DAW and your Elektron machine to the same BPM. Hit play in time. You’re musician - you can do it!

Do it. Ableton Live sequencing is fun. Sequencing with the Digitakt brings another dimension. With sufficient midi mapping you can even p-lock soft synth parameters. Fun for sure!

5 Likes

Awesome - yeah I’m just gonna kick it with USB and do some live jams. Sounds like it should be a fairly simple process after all. Thanks.

It would be amazing here to be able to use the Digitakt as a) a midi sequencer for VSTs, b) a hardware sampler and c) an audio interface via OB. The only problem here would be the 10-20 ms of delay for routing audio from Ableton via Overbridge to the Digitakt. The only workaround would be to have the midi track sequencer in sync with Ableton while having the audio track sequencer delayed according to the output delay introduced by OB.

@Ess Would that even be possible?

Would be dope to be able to just bring the Digitakt, a Laptop and an USB-cable to a gig.

Hmm, would be pretty much impossible to not have some latency in that sort of setup, but I believe that you could adjust for that by routing and setting things up carefully.

In a live situation though, might be very tricky.

1 Like

Having just started up in the fall, I still have a small setup…a DT, a Behringer D, a Volca FM, a Keystep and a pair of Kalis as monitors. I also have Ableton Lite and the Arturia V Collection. When I want to use the soft synths, I’m going through Overbridge and using the DT as my audio interface. This all works great…I think overall I have about 20ms latency, from the DT sending MIDI data to Ableton, driving the soft synths, adding effects to the D and FM, and sending everything back to the DT for monitoring. By turning off the internal monitoring on the DT, I am only getting the return mains from Ableton’s mix, so everything is completely synced up in my monitors. As a relative beginner, this setup is crazy amounts of fun for me.

1 Like

Could you please explain exactly what settings do you use here in Digitakt? Do you use the Digitakt VST Plugin in Ableton or only the audio inputs?

I use the Digitakt VST plugin in Ableton, yes. Here is how I lay out my Digitakt tracks in Ableton (this is my starting template):

And here is how I have my preferences set up:

I generally use tracks 1-6 for percussion, and then 7 and 8 for bass, melodies, or other samples (I also have a Digitone now, so that handles a lot of the workload for me). I put tracks 1-6 into their own group, and then generally add a drum buss to the group to crunch it up.

On the Digitakt, to get set up for Overbridge, you need to go to Settings -> System -> USB Config. There you should set:

• OVERBRIDGE to be checked
  • USB MIDI should then automatically toggle off
  • INT to main can be AUTO
  • USB TO MAIN [db] It’s important to note that the DT signal is very low going into Ableton over USB. This annoys a lot of people, but is really by design…basically the Digitakt is set up for a lot of headroom, so you won’t get clipping. Imagine you have one of your tracks maxed out in its levels and overdrive, and your driving your compressor makeup gain. So the Digitakt comes in really quiet to anticipate and prevent loss of the signal from happening. However, a consequence of this is that the default condition of the Digitakt when monitoring is that it’s very quiet. In this setting you can boost the signal back up…it’s defaulted to 0 (none), but you can do +6, +12, or +18. An alternative to this is just to add a Utility plugin to your Master channel in Ableton and boost your gain there. It’s easy to deal with…still it catches a lot of people by surprise.
  • PRE/POST FADER It’s up to you…I generally set it to PRE and then manage my gain staging in Ableton. But if you like to adjust the track levels in your DT then you can set it to POST.

You’ll also see I also have the effects isolated onto their own track. On Overbridge individual tracks come in without effects, because the Digitakt uses send effects for delay, reverb, and the compressor. You can still access them in Ableton though (in addition to adding any other effects you want per track). To do this, you add an audio track in Ableton, select the Audio From to be the the Digitakt, and then set it to Post FX. However, what will happen here is that it will by default re-print all of your tracks here as well. This is actually okay if all you want is everything on one track. But if you want to isolate the individual tracks (like I do) then you need to mute the tracks on the Digitakt in Settings -> Audio Routing. There you’ll see ROUTE TO MAIN as defaulted to 10/10. You’ll also see your tracks trigs all lit up green. Just mute them all (they’ll turn red) and the POST FX channel in Ableton will only hear the stereo effects.

The audio tracks come in dry and mono…you lose all the panning information set on the Digitakt, so you’ll have to manage that in Ableton.

If you want to set up a VST to drive from MIDI, just drag it into Ableton, set the input MIDI channel, and then assign that channel to your Digitakt MIDI track. You do that by going to the SRC page on your MIDI track, holding, holding [FUNC] and then pressing encoder A down. That toggles it on, and then you can select the desired MIDI channel. It’s also super easy to map up to 8 different MIDI CC’s per track. Just go to the FLTR page and do the [FUNC] button press on each encoder. You can either specify the related CC number on the AMP page, or you can use MIDI learning in Ableton, which makes it really easy to get control of your filters, effects, etc…and to be able to PLock them with the Digitakt’s sequencer.

Hope this helps!

7 Likes

Wow. Thank you for this great reply. That helps me a lot.

I have Digitakt and Digitone as well. Do you use the same approuch for the Digitone with the VST Plugin? How do you manage it, that the DAW and the two devices start just in time? Who is the master?

My DAW is Reason. And I think it should be similar here to set things up. But I did not get both devices to work properly. The device I set as ASIO driver, freezes after a couple of time, when I start both.

Yes, the Digitone setup is basically identical. Same settings on the instrument for USB config and muting the tracks so I can isolate the FX.

I have found just letting Ableton be the master is the easiest route. You can start and stop the sequencers from the instrument, but it seems to me more stable when Ableton is running things.

I haven’t had any problems using either the Digitakt or the Digitone as the main interface while using both, and am not at all familiar with Reason, so I can’t really help on the crashing thing, other than the recommendation above that you let your DAW be your master clock. I also most typically use a separate dedicated audio interface (I have a Focusrite 18i8) for inputting my guitar and other (very limited) gear, and also for monitoring. So my Digitakt and Digitone are both only connected to power and my PC via USB. I’m not sure if this is helpful…but good luck! Hopefully you can get it working and stable. :slight_smile:

It seems that the freezes were caused by the USB-3.0 ports I used for Digitakt and Digitone. With two separated USB-2.0 ports directly on the mainboard I have no problems anymore. I also installed the ASIO4ALL driver and set the buffer size to 64 samples with a latency of 6 ms.

I can only use Reason as master and the devices start automatically when I hit the play button in Reason. Strangely enough, I do not need to send MIDI clock. I assume that the synchronization is done via the VST plugins.

But I still have some timing issues. I load a short sample directly in Digitakt and in a sampler in Reason. Both samples were triggered by one internal track and one MIDI track with the Digitakt. When I record this two tracks in Reason, there is a very short but still noticeable offset. If I increase the buffer size the offset gets higher too.

grafik

Do have the same offset in Live?

How do you have the “link midi” settings? I’ve had my template configured the same as you, it works flawlessly except for sequencing VSTs. I’m getting hung/stuck midi notes and can’t seem to find a work around for it. Happens on both my DT/DT and every VST I’ve tried.

Hmmm…I am not at home right now, so can’t say exactly what my setup is. I wonder if maybe you have a midi loopback happening? Is your DT set to receive anything other than clock + transport from Ableton?

1 Like

Wow THANK YOU!!! That totally fixed it, I was sending clock from the Digitone

1 Like