Sequencing a synth with Machinedrum

Hey Everyone,

I’m looking to create undertones - melodic/drone textures and wandered if the Machinedrum sps1 UW+ MKII can sequence a hardware synth like the Desktop Access Virus C or the Korg Prologue?

Thanks

Virus C as monosynth? :slight_smile:
MD is not the best Elektron sequencer but you can send 3 notes per step, with 16 midi tracks.
Tracks can be on the same midi channel, so you can send up to 48 notes to a synth.
You can use up to 15 midi lfos (loosing a track with CTR8).
I much prefer Octatrack’s midi sequencer.

2 Likes

Hey Sezare,

Cheers, I’m not looking for the best sequencer and I work in a very small studio footprint so I’ll be quite content with the Machinedrum, I was intrigued if it could be done to the level of textured drones, so melodies with lots of notes is not a requirement. I’ll not be looking to purchase an OT.

Just giving some specs and my point of view. :wink:
Be aware that notes won’t overlap on 1 only track, all notes are retrigged at every new step.
Workaround with several tracks.
Not sure if you can send very long notes without retrigging easily, for drones.

Song mode maybe ?
MD experts ?

Chaining? (I don’t recall, the MD chains, right?)

1 Like

Always down for points of view dude I appreciate it.

1 Like

Chaining possible. :wink:

1 Like

A general “yes” to your opening question.
Major “downside” is that you cannot record MIDI data (i.e. play a keyboard into the MD’s sequencer), but have to dial-in the note values.
As an extra, you can set up MIDI CCs to control the external synth. So you can handle everything from the MD, plus you could make use of parameter locks for each single note.

3 Likes

Had a machinedrum sequencing a Blofeld, really shitty solution all notes must ne plocked with the pitch pot… Not the best for composing melodies and chords . I will take digitakt instead.

For drones the md sequencer is fine. Maybe you can param lock CC64 (sustain pedal) for huge chords and held notes. I haven’t tried it, but it should work.

1 Like

Yeah for me it’s about the underpinning foundation town, so not looking at melodies perse but hope your journey works out for you man

This sounds intriguing thanks man