Sequencer, parts, and tracks on Keystep Pro vs Digitone

Hello,

I’m currently using my Digitone as a glorified sound module, and sequencing it with a Keystep Pro.

Each of the 4 KSP sequencer tracks is lined up to trigger the 4 DN synth tracks.

My sequences on the KSP are designed where I have

KSP Sequencer track 1:

a series of little 3-note patterns, all basically variations of a major Chord (cmaj, cmaj7, different inversions, etc.)

KSP Sequencer track 2:

A series of little bass note patterns hovering around the root of the major Chord in Sequencer track 1 (simple 8th notes, some weird time signatures, patterns which touch triad notes + 7/9, etc. )

The way I like to perform is to start the playback on the KSP, and activate the different patterns on the different track Sequencers as I see fit. The track Sequencers aren’t tied to each other except through a common clock source and Project.

If I want to, I can let track sequencer pattern 1 play in a loop while I cycle through the different patterns in track Sequencer 2.

Or, I can cycle through the patterns in track sequencer 1 while I leave track sequencer 2 stuck in a single pattern.

Or, I can randomly change the patterns in both track Sequencers as a see fit.

So! My question: is this kind of performance technique possible on the Digitone? In an earlier post, someone hinted that the Digitone sequencer was better than the Keystep Pro sequencer, I wanted to give it a whirl.

Thanks

Nick

Not directly, no. Each pattern is one sequence per track, so if you want to keep track 1 on the same sequence while varying track 2, you’d have to copy the pattern to another slot. Although it’s really easy to do this on the DN, it still has limitations, because the Digi boxes all use a pattern change length to determine when a pattern change occurs. Quick jumping back and forth on one track can’t really happen, unless you want to reset the sequence on every track.

The advantage of using the Elektron sequencer comes in when you want to Plock modulations or sounds, or use chance or conditional trigs. There is some seriously deep variation you can get out of 64 steps if you take the time program carefully.

One thing you can easily do is a hybrid approach, where you program tracks from your KSP where you know you will want to jump around between sequences, but for other tracks that would benefit from the unique variations afforded by the Elektron sequencer, you program them directly on the DN. Just set your DN to receive clock and transport, and you’re good to go.

1 Like

@davestasiuk

Thank you for your reply and explanation.

The hybrid approach seems like a good one, I hadn’t considered that.

Taking it further, I suppose I could program parts in the DN do so wacky things AND send in note data from the KSP at the same time.

Nick

Yes, exactly. Sequence a track on the DN itself, two others with lots of pattern changes on the KSP, and reserve a fourth for live playing. Loads of variations and possibilities!

I think being able to sequence things directly on the DN is one of the things that makes it so powerful (and also very very fun).