Sequencer Comparison: Monomachine & Octatrack

hi
I use the Octatrack to sequence my Virus TI and was hoping to replace the Octatrack with a Monomachine. There is something about the bass sound on the Monomachine I love, it has that dark dubby vibe.

They are apples and oranges, more than you would expect.

Sound-wise I think the Octatrack is surprisingly a lot smoother. It has somewhat crisper high end, probably having to do with the higher bit rate, and the parameters all run at a higher resolution, which is why the crossfader doesn’t feel cheesy. The effects are higher quality and more useful but you do have to crank their parameters to get into weird territory. Oh, yeah, and it’s a sampler, so it can handle all that non-synth stuff.

As far as just a MIDI sequencer, the Octatrack has many more controllers per track, microtiming, custom LFOs, polyrhythms, speed multipliers, “plays free” tracks, lockable arpeggiator settings, and on the more obvious end of the scale has 2 more tracks. Basically, it slays it. As a sequencer, the only thing the Monomachine has on it here are big stacks of chords and program changes.

I haven’t used a Virus but I would think the Monomachine would be more likely to replace that than it would the Octatrack.

Get a MNM 1st before you decide if the OT is replaceable. I think MnM, OT, and the Virus is nice setup.

Yeah that could be the way to go. I have a Rytm, Octatrack and Virus TI.
I just dig that dark, dubby and woody bass sound you can get from the MnM. The arps sound nice too.
Maybe the Rytm has to go, but I like that it is a one stop techno monster.

Oh no don’t get rid of the RYTM lol.

Your right, I can’t part with it, need to get the MnM in addition :wink:

Hi all,

After reading License info I should better connect my waldorf blofeld to the octatrack instead of the monomachine right?

many thanks Olivier

Hi,

I wouldn’t make a lot of use of samples in the OT. Maybe the mono & blofeld work better together as they are both synth’s.

I don’t know the Blofeld but I’ve had a MicroQ. The CC control was a little buggy on that but I think they fixed it on the Blofeld? Anyway on account of the CC programmability, among other reasons above, I personally would strongly prefer the Octatrack. Unless, as I mentioned, big jazz chords (which you can actually get on the OT if you burn a couple tracks on one channel) and/or p-locked program changes are a must.

Also I understand the Blofeld is multitimbral, but if you do want to take some load off it you can always resample it into the Octa as loops or one-shots.

I’ll swap your OT for my MM + 300 euros!

Can the OT send out program changes as part of a sequence at all?

I haven’t used a Virus but I would think the Monomachine would be more likely to replace that than it would the Octatrack.

LOL, no… The Virus is a polyphonic synth with seriously fat and warm analog sounds… and has no sequencer, just an arpeggiator. You cannot make music with just a Virus, unless it’s a keyboard version.

Yeah, so, you couldn’t replace with Monomachine with the Virus necessarily but you could somewhat replace the Virus with the Monomachine, right? Unless I’m missing something…

The OT MIDI sequencer can send PC messages when you switch to a pattern that is associated with a different Part.

The OT can also send PC messages when simply switching pattern.

Hi all,
I’m a long time MD uw mk1 user, and recently picked up an Octatrack. i’ve wanted a MnM for sometime, but the planets never aligned and it never happened. one of the draws was its midi sequencing abilities, which added to its appeal and possible usefulness in my setup.

so, ultimately I’m just curious if there’s any differences between midi sequencing capabilities between MnM and the OT, and/or if one does everything the other does plus more.

assuming the Octatrack is the superior midi sequencer, how do you seasoned elektronauts see how I might still make use of the MnM midi sequencer in a trinity setup of MD + OT + MnM … assuming the OT would be taking care of midi sequencing other non-elektron gear (eg korg volca keys etc - 8 tracks will most likely be plenty). I’m guessing maybe I could use the MnM’s cc/lfo sequencing to control the md/ot if i need some extra in that regard ? …

I’d appreciate some thoughts on this, as much as I want the MnM for its synthesis, I want to justify a purchase by having some good use & benefit for its midi sequencers despite using the OT to midi sequence non-elektron gear.

thanks

The major differences are:

OT has 8 MIDI tracks while MM has 6 MIDI tracks.

OT has easy-to-edit 4-note chords per step while MM has effectively unlimited but tricky-to-edit polyphony per step.

OT can sequence Pitch Bend, AfterTouch, and 10 Control Change messages while MM has Pitch Bend and 4 Control Change messages.

OT has three LFOs per track including designer LFO shapes while MM shares the 18 LFOs amongst all the synth and MIDI tracks.

OT has microtiming, individual track length and individual track tempo multiplier settings while MM does not.

OT can launch MIDI tracks independently of the sequencer.

OT only sends Bank Select and Program Change messages when changing parts while MM can sequence PC messages per step (but then your MD can also do this).

From the list above, and if the OT is handling all your other external instruments, then there’s not a huge sequencing role for the MM to play in your planned setup.

Many people like using the MM’s arp to sequence drums on the MD, but you would have to have particular needs to use the MM’s arp instead of the OT.

There’s a lot music that can be made with MD, OT, and some external synths, but it’s worth considering the MM for its synth and effects/routing capabilities alone.

4 Likes

thank you Peter for the detailed response. very helpful

Also very important: The MnM sends CCs before the note-On event, the OT sends CCs after the note-on event. So if you p-lock a CC with the OT, you’ll always hear glitches. Due to this issue, which i call “cc-late-bug”, some parameters, e.g. attack time, are impossible to automate with the OT.

2 Likes

wow. this is a massive oversight. have elektron confirmed this is a bug that they will fix ?

it seems like something that should be fixed by now. I hope it is not an intentional decision.

I own both MM and OT.
How would one test this particular point ?
Any suggestions ?