Separating the Wheat from the Chaff(Sampling)

I think you’ve just got to find what works for you.

In general, I just use vinyl. Aside from that I’ll play bass on top of things and more recently I’ve been recording myself playing around with synths and what not.

I just do hip hop. I could tell you about how I use vinyl because of how it sounds as opposed to mp3s or whatever but it’s mostly just how I learned. It’s easier to jump around. You can look at a record and know that there’s going to be some kind of break or a quiet part with some open instruments. You can play around with the speed before you even sample anything. I can easily play it against what I’ve got going to see if it might work together. All that.

It does take up a lot of space, it does add up money wise even if you’re not going after rare records, and I think I’m part of the last generation that got a head start with digging by raiding our family’s collections. I used to have the dumb, very late 90s hip hop, sampling rules thing in my head where you have to get it on vinyl or it somehow doesn’t count. Now I’d say take it how you can get it if it works for you. But I still prefer records.

As far as stuff other people have sampled goes, I’d say it’s actually a great place to start actually. Whosampled.com will let you see what records were used in a song and they’ll even timestamp the bits that were used. That can help you get a feel for the kinds of things people you like are sampling and point you towards how they’re using it.

Lastly, I wouldn’t worry too much about whether or not something has been sampled before. Odds are pretty decent that if you hear something on a record someone got there before you and already heard that part. It’s more about what you do with it than anything else anyway. Even if you’re taking a loop, you’re probably going to have different drums, bass, etc.

4 Likes

Check out whosampled.com at least as a reference, if you don’t care about the source of your samples use youtube, soulseek, your public library, your friends collections, etc.

As a person bag holding 50 crates of breaks and samples it’s not worth it anymore, records are expensive to ship and the local spots are picked by ebay/discog sellers.

That’s not to say don’t go digging your locale might be awesome.

2 Likes

And regarding the most sampled records of all time…

People were mostly sampling their parents collection, records that were massive hits 10 years before and widely diffused.

Plus, 90’s hiphop producers from the East Coast were constantly hanging together at records conventions, trying to guess what the others were sampling. Pete Rock used to buy shit records to hide what he was really sampling.

3 Likes

Cheers i will watch that series. I did have one Album that might be included in the documentary. I bought Africa Bambataa and the Soulsonic Force’s album. I remember listening to Trans Europe Express on it as i was a Kraftwerk fan and thinking ‘What the fuck’! It blew my socks off that someone had sampled this.

This is a great summary.

I’m from the same era, the laws of the past are just salty now.

Been cataloguing my collection on discogs and it’s amazing how much ‘raers’ have been reissued/remastered and sound better.

1 Like

@bibenu the first two seasons are absolute gold for music lovers. The other two are for hiphop heads.

@sabana hehe, at the time it blew my mind as well! Not a sample, though: it was replayed… but they sued the shit out of him anyway.

2 Likes

Cheers. Im thinking off pitching up before importing. Ive read this actually works.
Because the sample rate goes down when you pitch down adding aliasing and artifacts to the audio. Basically you’re changing the fidelity.
This is what they did back in the day (due to the limits of sample time) and it has a distinct outcome. Do you use this technique?

I didnt know he got sued for it. Yes it was a like for like rather than a sample. But it was the perfect(beat). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do. I usually sample at 45. I’ve also been sampling on my Zoom Sampletrak before I record into my Digitakt. The Sampletrak records at like 32khz and has a filter that I think sounds great. But the sequencer is fundamentally broken and the Digitakt’s is great.

1 Like

Great! I think i will do a bit of that. Ive read people run it through tape decks as well. But im not going that far!

Totally depends on your definition of ‘Gems’.

Digging through virtual crates has no interest for me. Ive sampled bits of vinyl before, it can be very satisfying.

Im more of a ‘take any old sample and bend it until it is something new’ sort of person. So in a sense, it really doesnt matter what the source material is.

Then again, I dont make HipHop, or that kind of House that uses old samples.

These days, I pretty much just sample my other gear, or resample old samples I already made. Musical recycling.

Also field recordings. This aspect is massive fun. My last album relied on it heavily. Running feild recordings in the OT yeilds amazing results. Haven’t tried it with DT yet.

Ive never heard of splice, and won’t look it up. I’m not interested in sample packs. Ive got some on a hard drive and I never use them.

I guess Im not even looking at the wheat or the chaff because I’ve already got the cakes , know what I mean?

2 Likes

Homebrew style. Love it!

I assume a lot of those records on that list have famous breaks that have been sampled or have other sections that sounded good and were easy to sample because the arrangement allowed it.

I don’t think there is anything wrong sampling something that has been done a thousand times and putting your spin on it. At least for me, I’m doing this almost entirely for fun. I’m not trying to prove anything to anyone. Also, some samples are just iconic and for some of us don’t ever age and we will always want to hear another song that puts its own twist on it.

I also recommend watching Hip Hop Evolution on Netflix. And possibly Pump Up the Volume (not the fictional movie, but there is a documentary. I know it is on youtube, I just watched some of it the other day myself).

Nice!

I will say this about sample packs, and its only my experience.
Ive purchased some spendy ones, and i would definitely consider doing it again.
The ones i have purchesed are acoustic drum one shot samples and loops. They are recorded by drummers that i deeply admire, and have their own sound. I think that they have been worth every penny so far, and they are my go to sounds for acoustic drums. Immaculate recordings, etc etc.
ive just started messing around with the different loops and they are very nice because all the tones are there. With sequencing the one shots it happens that your ride cymbal gets cut off, or your toms or what have you. This doesnt happen with the loops. Each instrument rings out and sounds so full.
In my ideal situation i will have very nice samples from my own drumset, but i havnt gotten there yet. Kinda lacking in the mic department and there is always some sort of noise going on at my house.
So far i have gotten the most enjoyment out of running synths into the OT and sampling them and changing them around. I agree with the sentiment that sampling your own stuff is very very rewarding and fun and worthwhile.

I watched Episode one of Hip Hop Evolution. The scary thing was i was right there at ground zero with Africa Bambaataa buying his stuff. And i didn’t even know at the time. Now i feel really old as he’s regarded as one of the immortal trilogy. At least i now know i have taste :slight_smile:

3 Likes

About sampling from records:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/madlib-sound-ancestors/

While I’m not fond of record reviews, I find the first paragraph really interesting. Tl;dr: by using nearly untouched samples in his tracks, Madlib becomes a music curator, an archivist willing to share his discoveries with the auditor.

I find myself quite aligned with this definition: while it’s immense fun to mangle a sampled record to oblivion, sometimes you find a moment that is so perfect that you just want to make it last forever and to bring it to people attention.

1 Like

Its the bees knees. It can literally do anything. But i think i found thats a problem. Well for now anyways. I have been having a dig around for synth samples and what not but i have quite a few gb worth on my computer as well as VSt’s. I know it can mangle anything to sound incredible unique but because i have so many samples to choose from im scratching my head thinking what do i choose. Well a Good drum sample. A good bass. A good lead/vocal. But i feel so darn spoilt for choice as any could work. But being an indecisive sort of chap i want to go yes yes yes yes very quickly. Any thought on how you go about selecting samples for production? Now good day! :slight_smile:

Things I avoid
Single cycle wave forms.
One shot synth samples.
Sounds I can make on a synth.

I do use drum samples, be they acoustic, synthesised, or created in OT itself.

I do use field recordings, bits of songs I hve already made (often resampled into something else) and samples of weird noises from other gear I have.

Basically I want to utilize the OT for sounds I cannot get from my other gear.

3 Likes

I find any random sample, whether it be 30-60 seconds of movie dialog, radio chatter or field recordings, will generally contain enough dynamic material that I can use the OT’s synthesis and processing abilities to create a complete track.

Let the happy accidents flow, don’t get hung up on the ever moving target known as perfection.

4 Likes

I find that sampling into the OT is much more fun than loading it up with a huge library and spending more time going through the samples than making music. Also: Zoom H4n and field recordings coupled with synths and a thru channel is really fun.

1 Like