Separate tracks for recording & what result about your performance

That’s retrigger in the second part you pointed out, you can actually do that in a lot of ways with a lot of hardware (there’s a dedicated button for it on my old MPC; Squarepusher used to do it with the roll button on a Boss DR-660 that was sequencing a rack sampler of some kind) but it’s well integrated with the OT’s workflow and you can definitely get to stuff that borders on simple granular timestretching by messing with RTIM and STRT parameters (RTIM controls the grain size and STRT controls the grain position, but RTRG doesn’t retrigger the envelope, so no control of grain shape this way, and since there’s no polyphony in the OT actual granular synthesis isn’t really an option although there are ways to fake it).

In the first part you pointed out, he’s using delay on the master track set up to work as a repeater, which is also something that’s possible to achieve other ways but the OT’s implementation of it is really good and performance friendly, to the pint where if anything it’s become kind of overused but it’s still a really useful technique to have, it’s just easy to overdo it.

But yeah, the OT is really good for that kind of stuff, I can’t think of another piece of hardware I’ve used that does it nearly as well.

1 Like

I love when he press the button on the sequencer and increase the numbers of the kicks or hit hat ecc, the rhythms are increased i need this in my music and is so simple while the computer is hard. Really can your MPC do this in that way? It would be nice to see him :slight_smile: but maybe I ask too much … Thank you man !

Not nearly as flexibly or sponatneously, you have to do it when you’re recording a sequence or playing live (you can’t easily add it to already recorded) and the resolution is coarser but yeah, you hold down the note repeat button, use the data wheel to change the quantize value, and use aftertouch to change the level (or filter cutoff of each note, or start point) of the repeats. But a similar sound is achievable. I’m not sure what you could do in a 1000 with JJOS.

But yeah, for real time sound manipulation the OT wins easily. For sequencing they both have their strengths and weaknesses - the old MPC sequencers (and old hardware sequencers in general, frankly - not simple ) are deeper but less suited for building the sequences up from scratch live. I’ve been meaning to sit down and spend some time with the MPC2kxl and OT as a pair, because their feature sets really compliment each other.

Before I got an OT I had a lot of reservations about not having direct outs for the tracks but to be honest, I barely miss it (and if anything I could use more inputs).

1 Like

I think it’s a good idea to match the two machines. but having the money just for one and I think I’m starting with OT .

I would have a last request before buying OT on an audio track or a “line” of its sequencer you can import several samples on the single “rods” for example a sample on the 1 on the 3 … ?

You can do this with sample chains, or slices / slice trigs, or slot trigs. There are already a few ways to do this on the Octatrack. :slight_smile:

1 Like

really for each of the 16 patterns (“the rod”) of the sequencer I can load a different sample !!?

In a project, there are 128 sample slots for Flex (Ram Machine), and 128 sample slots for Static (card streaming)
You can trig them on any of the 64 steps of a pattern. There 16 pattern per banck, 16 banks.

You can also use slices…

What is a rod?

don’t fight it

just buy it