Separate tracks for recording & what result about your performance

Hello guys,
I’m new, trying to be simple and synthetic.
I would like to know how many tracks I can record separately with OT ?
…and what does it really record about your performance and what does not ?
Thank you !

Technically it can record 8 stereo tracks.

It records whatever about your performance you put into it.

If you’re “trying to be simple”, then the simplest thing would be to the read the manual, Merlin’s guide and watch tutorial videos.

1 Like

can you record 8 tracks on a multitrack software? and how, splitting the 4 outputs as with Rytm for example ?

I read the manual but did not find out clearly what I’m looking for and I would be sure before buying. Thanks for your patience !

You can use the 2 Cue outs as regular outputs (see Studio config). Therefore, you can record 4 tracks in parallel on 4 separate channels of a DAW/multi-track for later processing.

Each output is monophonic so you have to assign the tracks to main or cue outs then pan each track hard right or left to get full separation.

The Octatrack has only 4 outputs. You can not record all 8 tracks at once (It does not {nor ever will have} Elektron’s Overbridge).

This is very clearly stated in the Manual, page 6. For “Studio Mode”, pg. 36.

thanks for the accuracy, really a pity that is not 8! 4 tracks are a limit if you use it in the studio do not believe it? Confirm that it also records all of your processes during the performance? many thanks

What do you mean you don’t believe it? It’s a simple fact.

It records whatever comes out of those outputs. It’s not clever enough to do any different.

I phrased that poorly - whatever comes out of those outputs will be recorded by whatever is doing the recording.

I believe it without problems, I’m just sad that the outputs are only 4 and it’s the only thing that blocks me from buying it instantly !

Ok, well that’s a shame because it’s a fantastic unit.

1 Like

do you also find that it is a limit? Fuck ! but with a drum machine you do not do the same thing even if you have more outputs. uff i don t konw if i can buy with only 4

Yes, I find it a limit, but I live with it because I like the many other features,

You just have to decide if you can live with it too, Sounds like you probably can’t.

How do you can do in your studio … maybe can you record in two Times 2 different Block with 4 separate layers …

Great monitors and a bit of trust in your ears.
Also, clever FX selection.

The OP-1 has 4 tracks and one stereo output. Doesn’t stop people from putting out albums. And great records have been made with far less.

It’s either a deal breaker, or an opportunity for creativity. You get to decide which it is for you.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right . the alternative would be a jomox xbase999 but it does not have the same creativity, time stretch for example ecc like the OT…

A “limit” is subjective. Id love 8 outs or some way to easily track out the 8 tracks but its not necessary, everything can be done in this box. Its not impossible to track it out, you could always record track by track and do a few play throughs, or set up recorder buffers to record patterns on the 8 tracks and save them to arrange in daw, but honestly youre just fighting the way its supposed to be used to try and work like that. The octatrack works best when you just go with what its supposed to do, its called a dynamic performance sampler for a reason. its more about flexibility and performance. You’ll never really understand whats possible with it until you buy it and spend some time with it. You can either trust elektrons loyal following and be a bit flexible with how you work or not buy in, there are definitely plenty of options out there but OT is a good one

1 Like

other options do you think interesting ?

Sampler/sequencers? MPC X/Live/5000/4000/2500/2000/1000, then theres the different versions of JJOS for the 1000/2500, pioneer toraiz, teenage engineering OP-1 if you can handle limitations so im thinking that ones definitely not for you, roland mv8000, I honestly think what youre looking for is a laptop and a midi controller though. Realistically if you want to make music it is the most powerful and flexible thing avaliable, unlimited possibilities, just do it ITB to start with and save yourself the hassle. Maybe maschine mark 2/3?A huge part of hardware is working with limitations and slowly building up to what you need unless you wanna drop mega bucks. You could always buy two octatracks and have 8 outs. There are other options available but to be honest there is nothing out there competing with OT hence why there is no need for them to add 8 outs.

From what ive come to understand the OT was never designed with that purpose in mind so it would require massive changes to the machine, therefore the money spent on redeveloping the machine and extra parts would not be made back from the sales they’d gain from it and is therefore better spent elsewhere. IE on designing digitakt, which will have overbridge soon, why not get a digitakt?

With digitack I can not separate anything…
What interests me mainly in the OT for example is what you can see from 2.16 to 2.18min here in this video :

this time stretch in real time i don´t know what is this but is fucking perfect for polyrithm ecc
I do not know if there is another machine that does it with the same real-time simplicity on the sequencer and in the same way…i love this way for the rhythmic parts … good idea 2 OT :slight_smile:
MPC are great machine but i don´t think are for me …

Also from 2.47 to 2.59min :slight_smile: