Sending notes to a synth that's at the end of a chain

When controlling just the Digitone with the Keystep I send notes on channel 10, the Digitone’s auto channel, and change tracks on the DN.

When controlling the Model:Cycles with the Keystep I send notes on channel 14, the Model:Cycles auto channel, and change tracks on the M:C. It all works great.

When I midi Keystep into DN then DN into M:C I’m hoping to be able control DN with Keystep by sending on ch 10 and control M:C with Keystep by sending on ch 14. Of course, I also want the DN to send clock to M:C.

But the Keystep’s notes are not getting to M:C. Keystep controls DN and DN controls M:C. If I want to edit a track on M:C I have to use its own pads or unplug from DN and plug a keyboard directly into it.

Am I missing something? Do I need another midi doodad of some sort? Cheers!

Yes.

If you set one of the DN’s MIDI tracks to send on channel 14, and select that track, then the note messages from the KeyStep will be sent to the active track on the M:C.

No.

2 Likes

Thanks Peter. I wasn’t very clear about the problem (which I solved by buying an extra midi doodad).

I had the DN’s midi-out going to M:C’s midi-in.
I wanted M:C to use all its tracks for itself.
I only wanted to send clock and transport to M:C.
I wanted Keystep to be able to talk to either machine without unplugging.

So, Keystep–> Digitone, then DN’s midi-out and midi-thru both into a midi-merge box --> M:C.

Was there another way I could have solved the problem?

Yes. You could have tried the setup I suggested, for which the merger box is unnecessary. But if your current setup is working for you then you do not need to change anything.

1 Like