Sending MIDI control data to controller?

I have an Octatrack template I made for my Novation Remote last night that controls various aspects all from the front panel of my controller. I’d love it if when I altered a parameter on the OT, it was mirrored on the Novation. How can I send the MIDI CC data from the OT to the Remote (I have the Remote controlling the OT no problem).

Thanks!

1 Like

Anyone?

1 Like

On the OT, in the PROJECT > MIDI > CONTROL menu, set AUDIO CC OUT to “INT+EXT”. Make sure your OT MIDI sequencer tracks are set to different MIDI channel numbers than the audio tracks.

I wrote my original response on my phone, so here’s the way my setup is rocking.

Audio channels are on channels 1-8 so that I can assign the 8 sliders to just the volumes of the tracks. All my other controller functions are on channel 12 for auto channel so they map to whatever track I’m currently using. I’m assuming that the Audio out CC is sent on the channel to which the track is assigned, right? If so, then what I want to do probably won’t work.

Yes.

When received this sends all audio CC values.
CC 61 | Send request, 0 = all audio CC

Crap.

That means I either can’t control each track’s volume independently, or I can’t have the 2 units talk to and fro with each other. Bollocks.

Huh?

If you send MIDI CC message 61 with value 0 to the OT, the OT pumps out its current audio track CC values. That may help you have the OT’s state mirrored into your external device.

1 Like

Gotcha. So I could have a trigger to send that and reset the knobs. Dope.

2 Likes

Seems that I can’t get it to work. I’ll have to see how the MIDI IN of my controller functions.

Hi did you ever get this working. Trying to send a cc61 message to OT using drum trigger via ableton but no luck?

Are you using the OT’s MIDI Ports? It doesn’t send MIDI over USB, and you must ensure that Audio CC’s are enabled under PROJ -> MIDI -> CONTROL.

Sold my OT months ago so can’t help you.

OK thanks for the info, appreaciate the response.

Shame there is no work around with parts, also makes the faderfox a bit pointless for me, as I bought it to make transitions more fluid and in the moment live, rather than all automated. Frustrating.

What kind of workaround?

CC61 should work. AFAIK you need to select at least a midi channel for an audio track, and it mustn’t be shared with a midi track channel.
Otherwise, audio tracks can’t send midi.

Ex : Audio Track 1 with midi channel 1, and no midi tracks with midi channel 1.

I don’t think I have any midi channel conflicts. Just audio tracks 1-8 with corresponding channels.

The problem is with the OT parts system, I need the OT settings eg, amp volume, fx sends etc to match from one part to the next, when i alter parameters… So if I turned down the amp vol of bass in part 1, when I move to part 2 I’d like the bass amp volume to be at the same level.

So even taking the uc4 out of the equation, ultimately the settings will be different per part as I understand it?

Don’t change part! I avoid part changes in a song, for that kind of reasons. I use sample locks or slices if needed.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s where I’m at. Just a hella lotta re programming now, ouch!

OctaEdit may help!