Send strategies -- Cue, Studio, Mixer

I’m trying to fixed out my best options for integrating the OT with external effects. I’m routing both the OT and the external effects into a 1010 Music Bluebox.

As far as I understand, here are my options (from reading other threads and trying stuff):

1. If I want to use the crossfader in studio mode:

As far as I can tell, this is the only way to use the crossfader to control something like “send level”

1. If I don’t want to use the crossfader, I could just manually use the cue outs as sends and map that to a MIDI controller or tweak them on the OT.

2. In regular mode (not studio mode) I could send the cue outs to a separate stereo in of the Bluebox, and then use the Bluebox to control effect send for those tracks. It’s not clear if I want mute to cue or some other option if I go this route.

Am I missing something here? I don’t need to resample the effects returns, as those can just be recorded on the Bluebox. I’m looking for dub like quick moves to send out a track to an echo or reverb.

Thank you.

PS – apologies for all the threads. Been away from my OT for awhile and I’m just getting it set up again.

1 Like

You can set the headphone out to 100%cue (it’s 50%master 50%cue by default) and use the headphone knob to do quick dub sends. Works well with the blue box because one trs stereo cable is enough

2 Likes

I must be misunderstanding something but does the described method depend on vol not affecting what goes out the cue? I always thought amp volume (and thus xvol) is pre fx. I rarely use the cue outs.

The only differences between STUDIO and NORMAL mode are the mute behavior and display. In STUDIO mode MAIN and CUE mutes are linked. It doesn’t change routing.

That’s the case. VOL can be used with the crossfader. Not CUE.

Imho the best workaround to use “fx send” and crossfader is to swap Main and Cue, quoted above (I also proposed it somewhere).

1 Like

If i understand this, would work great with my LCXL, to use this way?

Because you can’t trig lock cue volume, like you can automate the main volume, but the LCXL can be assigned to cue fader volume, which won’t be affected by scene or part changes, only by the LCXL faders?

This is a great work around for someone with LCXL unless there’s a hitch somewhere?