Send/receive patterns with SYSEX (documentation?)

In the sysex section of the MNM manual, it says

SYSEX pattern dump:

MIDI Byte | Purpose
---------------------
(SYSEX init) |
$67 | Pattern dump ID
… | Pattern data bytes (see separate documentation)
$f7 | SYSEX end

Does anyone know where can I find the “separate documentation” of the pattern data bytes?

1 Like

I have not seen the detailed Monomachine SysEx data in the wild. You should ask Elektron for it.

Or you could locate Wesen’s MiniCommand code and try to figure it out from there.

There are likely to be some similarities with the Machinedrum SysEx formats, which I found here:
http://forum.liine.net/viewtopic.php?p=2985

I asked them for it, and they sent it to me. I don’t want to make anyone at Elektron angry by putting it somewhere they don’t want it, though.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think they would object to it being in the files section.
I’ve experimented with generative pattern creation in the past and wouldn’t mind starting a new programming project.
I’ll PM Simon and see if they will allow the sysex to be shared.

I wouldn’t think they would object to it being in the files section.
I’ve experimented with generative pattern creation in the past and wouldn’t mind starting a new programming project.
I’ll PM Simon and see if they will allow the sysex to be shared. [/quote]
Oh thanks, could you get him to post in this thread for confirmation?

I’ll post back if he gives the ok. :+1:

Hey, (Long time since my last post, I have been on vacation)

Taking the liberty of responding directly in the thread! :wink:

Sorry, I cannot take this decision. I will ask the head of R&D tomorrow if they are OK with uploading the SySex documentation of MD and MM to the Elektron website.

In the mean time, you can obtain it by contacting us via the support system.

Thank you for asking!

1 Like

Put me on the list as being interested in getting both of these documents as well please.

Put me on the list as being interested in getting both of these documents as well please.[/quote]
:joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Put me on the list as being interested in getting both of these documents as well please.[/quote]
:joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: [/quote]
Bingo :wink:

Ok, so…

We will continue with a by request-basis on the SySex documentation due to various reasons for the time being. Note that we will not deny anyone these documents, so please don’t hesitate to contact us (support) about it.

1 Like

The plot thickens…

Would R&D have a problem with user-created documentation, based on the information in this documentation, being posted publicly?

Nope.

1 Like

Nope. [/quote]
:+1: Great, thank you!

yea looking forward to see some more elektron sysex action. beware, it’s a deep rabbit hole :slight_smile:

…for those who’ll venture in this: the MM doesn’t receive SYSEX as the AR does for instance, so if you want to send a pattern to it you’ll need to enter the SYSEX menu first and then do your magic :smiley:

…right: where’s that SYSEX message to speed sample transfer on the AR then? :astonished: just kiiidding…:joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ticket created. Thanks Simon - hope the vacation was restorative!

…it’s going to be an hard time for developers… :astonished: :alien: :confused: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Glad to see there’s some interest in this. I now have the full documentation thanks to elektron, standing at the edge of a deep rabbit hole. Not sure whether to jump in.

My idea was to use Max Msp to generate midi sequences that I can transfer to the Monomachne via sysex. The sysex pattern dumps are really huge, about 15000 bytes, so it’s not easy to pack and process correctly. I’m guessing at some of the protocols. “8 bit big endian” etc…Maybe a short cut would be to dump a pattern and work on changing bits of it rather than working from scratch. But the unpacking packing is a bit of a nightmare, maybe if I have a particularly autistic day I’ll jump in.

The idea of playing sequences into the Monomachne and recording them seems much simpler though!