Sellers remorse, a warning post

Like for example if I wanted to get some gnarlier sounds out of the A4, I had to jump between different pages quite a bit. Add some noise, then distortion, then maybe try routing track 1 to track 2 osc 1 and see if that adds gain, go back to distortion, adjust the oscillators on track 1 and then go to track 2 osc and so on. In the end I would usually find what I was looking for (and the endless modulation options meant that it was extremely versatile), but it just took SO LONG compared to the Dark Energy or DFAM. I just twist some knobs and I’m somewhere else. A lot more limited but also more immediate.

7 Likes

ya with the a4 It comes down to performance. do you need a machine you can jam on to save patterns, tracks, sounds, and modulations? Then the A4 is probably a better choice over other machines

1 Like

Did the same thing with my Octatrack MKII in November. Replaced it yesterday. Never doing that again.

3 Likes

It’s strange, cos with their first product (sidstation) they put the pots under the screen but then decided to put encoders at the side for the rest of the boxes, the design decision doesn’t make sense to me

The road to the point where I’d have a song programmed on the A4 to perform was too long for me at this point, especially since I have the OT and can just sample stuff in it and perform just as well.

1 Like

Exactly. Never had the problem with DT (although the loop controls are confusing to me), but with A4, I am constantly touching wrong knobs. Will be moving to some DIY solution soon.

I packed my A4 away about 6 months ago to focus on using the MNM. But I miss the A4. I might have to swap out another piece of gear to bring it back into circulation.

Sold my A4 last year, only regret is not getting more money for it!

1 Like

This thread is definitely for me. If you look at my forum activity you’ll see I’m on my third OT (got my first one in 2014 or 2015, then another one in 2017 along with AR). I also just got a DN (which I think I love even more than the OT right this minute). Oh and I’m on my third OP-1 and my second Zoia. I love these instruments and they really are a perfect fit but you’re right, it takes some dedication and time. The one thing I have to remember is it’s just money and when money gets tight again, don’t panic and sell them. I regret selling every piece of equipment or guitar I’ve ever sold and I’ve had some real gems too. I appreciate the original poster of this thread. Thank you for your service!

3 Likes

I’m on my fourth A4 and considering selling it again. It just doesn’t do it for me. But on paper it seems perfect. I love my digitakt and might try the digitone.

The A4 was the Elektron box theatclicked with me the least. Theoretically I should have loved it–I’m not a polysynth kinda guy, so four Elektron monosynths in one box should have been my gold standard. I get way better sounds out of my Monostation which is kinda sorta not quite a one voice A4–this is all because of me and the fault of neither synth.

I don’t have any desire to go back. I hear good things from the A4 from other people.

Like every Elektron box, A4 needs some commitment and dedication to get the most out of it.
I have found that mastering the subtractive synthesis or even knowing all the synths control isn’t enough, it’s the time you obstinately spend on it that opens it, really.

Other gear may be more immediately rewarding, but I prefer depth and plocks ^^

I already got rid of the AR, got a new one 8 months later.
I already toyed with the idea of selling my MM and OP-1… Glad I never did :sweat_smile:

1 Like

How many rigs of the AR does one man need :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember buying an A4 in 2015, my first proper hardware synthesiser. Who buys an A4 as their first synth? Seemed ridiculous at the time and I was like OP, no immediate returns, got impatient and traded for an OT. Sold that a month later too.

I now have an OT but it’s going nowhere. Maybe I’ve grown up a tad, maybe I know what sort of thing I want now.

Still regret getting rid of the A4 though but I don’t have enough interest in synths now.

1 Like

Heh, me. lol

1 Like

if there 1 thing i didn’t have sellers remorse over…its the OP-1

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s a lot of back and forth between pages when making patches on the A4, especially when feeding sounds from one track to the next. Very flexible but not very immediate.

I think it makes sense. The encoders on the Analog Heat are under the screen, and when I turn them my hand is blocking the screen. I have to either lean to the side when turning knobs, or turn the knobs with my hand at an odd angle to not block the screen.

2 Likes

I don’t honestly get the appeal. I’ve played around with one and it just felt very dumbed down. The stupid gamey graphics were totally unnecessary and it felt more like a really expensive stoner toy than a sampler or a groovebox.

2 Likes

its lack of midi implementation is appalling
was also quite noisy with ground hum

1 Like

My first proper synth was a Monomachine. Then A4. That was 5 years ago I believe.
:sweat_smile:
Took me years to get comfortable with these… I still believe I’m less than 75% of the learning process!

IMO getting a high quality synth as a first step is not necessarily that stupid, if you’re stubborn enough to learn it deeper and deeper.

2 Likes