Sellers remorse, a warning post

I sold my A4 because I expected it to be immediately rewarding. I’ve had an AR for a few weeks now and I realise that actually these machines need you to be willing to learn how to use them. And now I regret selling the A4.

I leave this here in case you, dear reader, are thinking of parting with your A4. Beware, lest you regret it.

End.

19 Likes

I just sold my A4 and I regret it a bit, although I wasn’t using it much because it was so labor intensive to program. I still dream of possibilities that in reality were out of my reach.

3 Likes

Idk, coming from other elektron boxes its not too bad to program at all and it sounds really good!

5 Likes

Coming from programming Yamaha rack-mounts from the late 80s and 90s, or an Alpha Juno with nothing but the “Alpha Dial” and membrane buttons, I find the A4 to make about as much sense as a non-knob-per-function synth could.

5 Likes

Finding those sweet spots tho…

1 Like

Sold my DFAM in December.

Bought another one yesterday.

Redemption is just a cheque book away.

18 Likes

I don’t understand why people say Elektron gear is hard??? You literally have a massive LCD screen and rotary encoders which show you everything you need… If you’re coming from a Juno 106 type synth it might be more involved but it’s 2021 people. Play! Have fun! Explore! Make music!

6 Likes

Who said it’s hard? It just takes more time than I seemed to have the patience to. I already have an OT that I basically make all songs on, so having two Elektron boxes was just too much menu diving. Much prefer having multiple knob per function analog synths + OT to OT + A4 combo.

2 Likes

“Immediately rewarding” my fault.

1 Like

I had an A4. Sold it after I got an AK. Preferred the A4. Have neither now.

A4 is something I miss / would like to have one here with me.

Will pick up a MkI “someday” time / funds / trades permitting.

2 Likes

With that distinction your post makes no sense. A Juno 106 or any knob per function synth is much more immediately rewarding than A4. A modular is probably not if you don’t know the signal path and what different modules do. A4 sits in the middle of those two, with some added digital functionality that you seriously need to RTFM to utilize.

my a4 has been sitting on a shelf for awhile, but every time I pick it up, it both impresses and overwhelms me. not selling any time soon, even if it’s not in active rotation.

3 Likes

My main gripe with the Elektron boxes is the disconnect between the encoders and the screen, constantly checking if I’m turning the right one, would have been much better if they could have put them under the screen like on maschine

2 Likes

The A4 is such a handy size. You get great synthesis and a fantastic sequencer in such a small form factor. Portabiity is something to consider with Elektrons compared to other synths.

2 Likes

This post must be for me. I bought and sold three (!) A4 Mk1. Each time I instantly regretted it. I was so happy when Elektron announced the Mk2. Got one from the first batch. Will never sell this!

2 Likes

This is especially true when there are 2 rows of 5 encoders.
Replacing some of them with colored ones or pasting colored stickers helps…

3 Likes

Naa. Disagree.

Feel free to. I’m having a lot more fun jamming with my Lyra, DFAM and Dark Energy than I did with the A4 precisely because they’re more immediate and easier to get cool new sounds out of.

That’s not to say the A4 is not a five star synth, it really is. Just not for me right now.

3 Likes

Not played Lyra or dark energy. But know them. Dark energy is cool. DFAM is a beast.

I sold my A4 mkii because I realized I didn’t need it… and then 1 week later I bought an A4 mki because the price was so good. :sob:

1 Like