Sell Everything, Go Modular

I would save a fortune if i went fully modular.

4 Likes
1 Like

Ive seen guys with £2 grand worth of modular try to do this. Amazing and …cheap :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I picked up an ADDAC403 clock and really want to base drifting drum trigs around it, but really need to spend a week banging my head into it until I can work with the syncopated clocks.

He might be busy building me a lovely 126hp case in black walnut… :grimacing:

1 Like

Exactly!

1 Like

This was another decision I took earlier on. OT is master sequencer for my modular. When money allows I’ll add random generation sequencer such as Marbles or Turing, but anything directly sequenced/programmed is always going to come from the OT. I even thought of getting a second one just for modular duties, but that was a step too far (for now).

1 Like

I’m not that bothered about getting into modular just to build another synth voice. What does appeal though is the MakeNoise Tape and Microsound system - that thing looks truly unique.

3 Likes

Another possibility would be to keep your DT/DN combo and simply add a dreadbox or a moog semi modular, that you could sequence and sample with your DT. It has a lot of advantage compare to a full modular system :

• much cheaper
  • less tendency for GAS/black hole …
  • its much faster to make a patch on a semi modular
  • you are sure that your systeme will have a consistent set of module that plays well together.
  • and dreadbox/moog stuff really sound awesome !

Eventually later, if you truly want, you could always complete your semi modular synth with a few modules or with another semi.

4 Likes

That’s a good way to go if you’re after a modular synth voice, might not be if you want an fx/ mangler rack depending on the semi you choose. It’s certainly a cost effective way to test the waters as you get a lot of bang for your buck compared to modules.
I went this route with the mb2s. Used value seems to be around $350 usd. It would cost a lot more to put it together as modules even if you excluded the four track sequencer. Pretty basic synth features for the most part but a few non standard goodies too. Wave folder, midi to cv, volt/oct or hz/volt operation, etc. A semi modular seems like a good way to get a lot of basic utility cheap and it can be expanded as needed.

1 Like

These are all sequenced with the Teletype and pnw? wondering how the teletype is for a non programer >.<

Intellijel Scales has a Roland SH-101 type of sequencer. I also use external sequencers, like the OP-Z, Noodlebox, and I just started using the Torso T-1. As you can sense, I am more inclined to experiment with sequencing. I like the sound of Mutable Instruments Plaits a lot, I’d recommend as a first module.

Teletype isn’t too bad, the scripts are not like programming. Monome has Crows as well. Ansible adds their Grid or allow a MIDI controller to CV/Gate control. I do think that the Whimsical Raps modules are esoteric, and almost purposefully vague. I guess it adds to the mystique. Whereas the Mutable Instrument modules are straightforward, and an excellent place to start and have a permanent place in a rack/skiff.

Personally I find their Technical Maps among the best written manuals I’ve ever used. They can’t fit everything they do on a stack of paper in a module box.

The person behind Whimsical Raps is Sam Wolk, I believe. This is not Korg Volca grade, this is pretty heady stuff :expressionless:
https://samwolk.info/

I’m pretty sure his name is Trent Gill. He works closely with Monome. I for one appreciate the approach to “marketing” they have going on.

2 Likes

“He Zhizhang and Li Bai used poems to meet friends and golden turtles for wine. This kind of confidant, often reminds me of my acquaintance with synthesizer designer Trent Gill. He is the designer I admire most, not one of them. He is also my friend.”

• Meng Qi
4 Likes

A gorgeous friendship. I wish all could afford all of both designer’s creations.

2 Likes

Nice thread. Cool reading everyone’s journey. I’ve managed to hold fast with a few Strymons and now the Moog Sound Studio. The Moogs are nice but don’t entirely satisfy me, but since there is more to explore with them and I’ve only had them a little while they won’t be going anywhere. So I’m happy to keep investigating those for now to scratch the modular itch.

Tbh I would love to add an A4 to my setup. I heard one out live recently and it sounded great. Sometimes I think to add a DN as well… but the A4 just has a nice full body to the tone. Well, I like them both lol.

In a perfect world with tonnes of cash I would totally dive into modular, but as it stands I just don’t have the time or the funds to go into it. Prefer to keep my time for music focused on jams with the few things I have and recording the output, rather than researching and building systems.

4 Likes

Me too. When I try to convince myself that I can do everything I want to do in modular with Max For Live those two are key reasons why I feel I absolutely can’t

1 Like

I’ll probably keep my Digitakt just because I can sit with it alone and come up with some interesting ideas, on those occasions where I do want to be away from the computer.